Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Neck anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super cool, (Sydney) Simon . Great looking enchiladas, too. I like to make Cubans sammies (cubanos) with leftover pulled pork. The smoke flavor adds a whole other dimension. As my nephew said after the first time I made him one, "why would anybody make cubanos with anything other than pulled pork from the smoker?"

Comment

Congrats on a great cook, Sydney Simon ! Looks like you had plenty of meat, since you made enchiladas with the leftovers. Your dinner sounds great, along with the sides and your wife's tasty appetizer and dessert.

Thanks for enlightening me on smoking pork neck. If I can find some, I'll for sure give it a go.

Kathryn

Comment

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        As its not a real popular cut in the US, it may be tough to find as a commercial cut. I suspect most has a higher price tag converted to sausage.

The picture I posted in this thread...that cut is called neck on this side of the Atlantic. It seems a little big for just being the neck muscle.

I did some googling and found this picture. I would be really curious what this cut is called in The States.

If this picture is accurate, I am talking about the cut in black that says 'procureur' (right above the shoulder).

Comment

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        After checking a few charts, some call it the "neck", others refer to it as the "collar". Most recommended grinding it which confirms my suspicion on why it's not often seen in markets.

I wonder why everyone here uses it for pulled pork besides the somewhat smallish price difference compared to shoulder. I am going to try to smoke a couple shoulders and compare the two for pulled pork.

Even though it's not a common cut in the US, does anyone have experience with both shoulder and neck using it for pulled pork? Really curious what the difference is in flavor.

Comment

Picture of me smoking 'neck' for pulled pork

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here