Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Neck anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Neck anyone?

Morning everyone or evening as it is for me! This weekend's cooking adventure is pork neck. I've got 2 pieces weighing up to a little over 5 pounds in total. Any advice on cooking and timings? I was thinking of cooking it like the pulled pork recipe on here but not sure if that would work for neck? Oh, and is this enough to feed 5 people with sides? And what sides do you all have with pork over there? Thanks as always everyone!

I've never cooked pork neck in my smoker, but I'm sure someone else will step in with some good ideas. Just looking at the photo and not knowing the thickness/weight, it sure doesn't look like a lot of meat for 5 people unless 3 of them are little kids. What's the weight?

Kathryn

Comment

If that is five pounds, based on the amount of fat I think you will lose 1+lb to trimming and then lose another pound during the cook. That leaves you with 3 pounds conservatively and maybe 2 or 2.5 on the other side. You may want add some more meat to the menu or if you are going to pull it, definitely serve it on some good buns. Here, slaw is a must with pulled pork and maybe baked beans. Beans would be great to set under the meat as it cooks.

Comment

(Sydney) Simon, Top of the Morning to You Down Under! First, I have never cooked pork neck! But If I had to I think I would Dry Brine it for 12-24 Hrs in the Refridgerator, then add your favorite pork rub about 6 Hrs before the Smoker! Cook Indirect @225* F until Meat is at desired temp, 165* F forSlicing, +- 203* F for Pulling?
        I am a Poor one for Sides and Info, Eunice usually takes over! I like Sauerkraut, Baked Beans, Garlic Bread, small Green Salad if I must! Hope I have been of Some Help to You, Damned Little I Know!
        Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

I've never done neck. Would love to hear how you prepared it and how it turns out.

Comment

Never done it. I am curious to hear how it is.

Comment

I did swine spine once, turned out to be a hit. It's different than the neck though, I think. It's smaller pieces, some really boney without alot of meat, and the butcher gave me 7 lbs for $3. I couldn't turn it down.

Comment

Sorry guys the site has been down all day so haven't been able to reply! Sounds like I might be the Guinea pig here 😄 I will as suggested cook at 225F if the Akorn char-griller decides to play nice. Can be a bit fiddly at low temps. I want to go for pulled so I'll take it off at 203F and this time not be a total rookie and forget to take pictures. 😄 Thanks for the side suggestions, I will prob do some beans and I was thinking of a blue cheese, pear and rocket salad with a balsamic glaze as my sides. We'll see!

Comment

This should be interesting. I've always used pork neck for beans and sammies. Good stuff!

Comment

Yeah let us know how this goes. And take some pictures, I am trying to picture what this sucker is gonna look like.

Comment

Pork necks I've thrown Ito braises, stocks and beans. I have never cooked it as a main. In some Mexican cooking you ban get beef neCk/throat for tacos. I'm not sure that's enough for 5. I so curious. Please post pics.the fat looks amazing and the color is gorgeous.

Comment

I've cooked pork neck in a slow cooker before, it was pre-cured and smoked like bacon would be. Had a different taste, good, not sure how much was due to the prep vs. the meat. I would think any of the standard sides - beans, rice, cornbread, coleslaw, etc. - would go well with it. Pulled would probably be a good way to serve it, we ate it off the bone and we had to get our forks all around the bone. Does yours have a good amount of bone in it still? If so, that will also reduce the amount of meat (obviously) so I second having a backup main. Plus you never know how people will like the different flavor.

Rambling a little, but maybe there is something in there that adds to the discussion.
                        Last edited by PBCDad; May 26, 2016, 12:07 AM.

Comment

• Sydney Simon
                          Sydney Simon commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hey PBCDad :-) Ramble all you want my friend. It doesn't have any bone, only a good layer of fat and a nice skin so I will be hoping for some good crackling. Also having a starter and sides with it for main and I believe the wife is making churros for dessert so think this should be plenty! :-)

Hi! I'm back from triumphant pork neck cooking and it's good news folks. I would heartily recommend this cut to you all. Similar to shoulder/butt but (butt, but, lol) I think a little more flavoursome. The smaller piece took around 6 hours at a steady 225* while the bigger piece took around 6 3/4 but I bumped it up to about 275* to finish it off as it was 8.30pm. My wife made pretzels to start with a beer and cheese sauce for dipping. I then served our shredded pork neck on toasted sourdough with garlic butter and drizzled with KC Classic sauce (thank you Meathead, can't wait for the cook book to arrive). I made chargrilled broccoli with lemon jam and walnut butter and bitter greens with creamy bacon dressing for our sides.

My wife stepped in for dessert with home made churros in a bed of powdered icing sugar with a choice of salted caramel or mexican chocolate for dipping. Unfortunately no photographic record of dessert was possible before being devoured. I just about managed to get a photo of the pork neck before the vultures struck.

We did manage to save some for tonight which I used to make enchiladas with which were honestly the best I've ever had.

Anyway, pics attached. Thanks as always everyone and as I said go forth and cook pork neck. Got some great crackling from the skin too!

Comment

• CeramicChef
                          CeramicChef commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thats one fine lookin' bunch of cookin'! Kudos and congrats! Love that money shot.

Damn that looks good! Congrats on a successful cook!

Comment

Pork neck is the cut they use mostly for pulled pork here in Holland because it's cheaper than shoulder.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here