Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! Pork Skin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Pork Skin

I am about to do a pork butt that is skin on. I've only done one with skin on before and I was not impressed with the results regarding the skin, although the meat itself was fine. Making matters worse, I've never eaten the skin in a BBQ joint, so I don't even have a clear target to aim for. Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

Why is the skin still on the butt?

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      I dunno? Is there a layer of "something" between the skin and the fat? A tough "rind"?
      Last edited by Willy; May 15, 2016, 03:23 PM.

Where did you get it? I think most big slaughter facilities don't leave skin on a butt. Can you post a picture? If it is skin, just "skin it" off...

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      I will post a pic, but not until I cook--maybe Tuesday. Came from a Kroger related place called "Fry's" in AZ. Typical supermarket, ala Safeway, Publix, etc.

I would remove the skin and trim fat like you would normally do to get your normal edible bark. With that said, I have no idea if rub on the skin would result in edible bark because I've never cooked a boston butt with skin on. Bark is pretty important in my opinion to the overall taste of pulled pork so I'd hate to give it up on that one side.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, but I want to try skin--I've heard so many rave about the crispy skin from a whole hog.

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      I understand. Growing up my grandfather cooked skin-on pork shoulders on a homemade pit and I once got a very small (hot) piece. That was so long ago I don't remember how it was, but Paw paw loved it.
      Last edited by fuzzydaddy; May 15, 2016, 04:29 PM.

My Italian grandmother would remove the skin, season it with salt, pepper, Basil, roll it up tie it like a jelly roll and put it in the "gravy". Not barbeque. But a great memory!

Comment

I know you want to leave it on the butt to try it out, but I thought I'd share Meathead's cracklins recipe page in case you haven't seen it. Cheers!

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        Good advice Huskee. You want to cook the skin differently from the butt so separate them.

Here are a couple of photos of the butt. Sorry about the pic quality.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the photos. I've never seen one with skin on (except when I was a kid and that was a whole shoulder). You'll figure this out!

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like that "butt" is cut quite a bit lower down than I'm used to seeing. The arm bone is usually left with the picnic & not the butt. It's almost like you got the whole shoulder, picnic & butt (including the "rind&quot.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here