Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tough shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tough shoulder

had a friend ask me to cook a whole foreleg(shoulder/picnic) put it on with 3 bone in shoulders 2 briskets 4 beef ribs and 4 chickens shoulders,briskets,etc. cooked as expected and were yummy,tender, and devoured. the leg on the other hand was turning to pork jerky (shoulders and briskets cooked between 8/9 hours@225) after 11 12 hours i pulled the leg and handed off to above friend with apologies. w.t.f? the leg had been frozen thawed in fridge for 6 days it was a home grown pig had no fat cap and seemed a bit lean any thoughts advice here?

The leg portion of a pork shoulder is very lean. I cooked a picnic once just like a butt and it was good, but very dry. Had I cooked it with the butt portion it would have been even worse.

I see some competition cooks leaving the skin on the leg and wrapping it with a cloth.

Comment

I cooked a picnic with the skin and fat on. It was dryer than a butt, but stilly pretty good. The flavor is different. I used a probe till it reached 200 internal. Did you probe the picnic for doneness or did you rely on the butt internal temp. The butt and the picnic are very different pieces of meat. Another thought - did you separate or try to cook it whole? If whole separating might Nace made a difference.

Comment

I left them together. the three shoulders that came out well were not of the same pig the butt/picnic never came to temp maybe 165 I use a thermapen and the meat just felt tougher and tougher. maybe I bailed too soon? just seems odd 9 other pieces of meat were cooked just fine. btw these were cooked on a rotisserie smoker using hickory (I'm still working on photos) these newfangled interweb things are still a little confusing! I swear I'll join the 21st century any day now

Comment

It doesn't make sense to me that everything would come to temp except that one piece. My next best guesses would be location in the cooker or it was still frozen. 6 days thawing in the frig should have defrosted it.

Comment

I'm really confused by this. I get picnic arms with the skin on and they are always VERY moist with a TON of drippings in the pan. I boat them at about 170 internal temp. I take them off at about 200 - 205.

Comment

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              boftx, can you explain the "boat?" I know you probably have before, but I'm not sure where...

• boftx
              boftx commented
              Editing a comment
              Put them in a pan and cover with foil. Basically braising from 170 to finish.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here