Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St Louis' trimmings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

St Louis' trimmings...

Hiya folks...

I usually use cook babybacks when it comes to ribs but I've bought a couple of kg of these pork breast ribs - hopefully the link is showing below, sorry first post.

Am I right in thinking that this cut would alsobe known as spare ribs?

There's a fair amount of meat on the 'flap' that I guess would be trimmed off to square them for a St Louis cut. I'm not decided if I want to square them off or not.

If I did go ahead with the square, any suggestions as to what to do with the trimmings? Or just rub 'em down and stick 'em on with the ribs? If there's no bone in that part of the meat then am I right in thinking they'll cook faster?

(I'm planning 225 for 4-5 hours on a KJ classic btw - does that sound about right?)

Grateful for any advice!

Cheers
    Order Rare breed Pork Breast Ribs online at Turner and George. The best online butcher for Pork Breast Ribs Delivered.

You are correct in that what you have are spare ribs. Squared off, as you put it, they become a St. Louis cut. The ends are what are known are rib tips. Those flaps of meat are trimmed off and make for excellent tidbits during the cook to tide you over.

I just obtained two full slabs of spare ribs last weekend, trimmed to St. Louis cuts, and used the rip tips in jambalaya last night after trimming the meat from the bones. The meat also is excellent in chili or stew.

Your dogs will love the bones.

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on what boftx said.

neilduncan Here is the post I did on using what I called riblets. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...113980-riblets
    Last edited by LA Pork Butt; May 12, 2016, 04:47 AM.

Comment

I smoke them plain and use like in beans

Comment

neilduncan - you are absolutely correct you can use those sure rib trimmings! I call them "The Chef's Prerogative." I coat them with oil, dust them with my rub, and cook them up at the same time I'm doing the St Louis cut ribs. They are done in about half the time. I eat them or share them with my guest who arrive early to help with party set up. IT's my prerogative who gets 'em and they are a tease as to what's to come.

Comment

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          The flaps/skirts are mine, I tell you, mine! As for the rest, sometimes it's fun to throw them in the air and see who gets to them first, my wife's cousin or the dogs.

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          I love a cook when I've got something to eat while I hand around the Egg or Weber! I don't always share these goodies either.

Like others, I cook the trimmings and use them in other dishes (primarily my beans). I put rub on them just like with the whole racks, throw them in a foil pan, and cook them in the bottom of the smoker at the same time as the whole racks. The trimmings will have a lot of cartilage in them, so I try to strip that out while the meat is still warm. I'll also remove as much gristle and excess fat as possible, then freeze them until my next batch of beans.

Comment

The last time I did St. Louis ribs, I cooked the tips along with the ribs, and served them with a little extra BBQ sauce. We put the flaps and other trimmings in the freezer. Recently my wife thawed them out and made some awesome chili verde (thanks to Meathead for the suggestion).

Comment

I'm late to this party, but I buy full spares by the case at Sam's Club. I trim, peal, salt and vac seal them all at once and put them in the deep freeze. The trimmings I vac seal in about 1.5-2 lb packs and freeze them. They are great for stir fry or other similar types of cooking.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here