Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork shoulder on a Weber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork shoulder on a Weber

Taking my new Weber e670 through a long cook. Smoking a 12lb shoulder on it over night. I only plan on adding smoke for the first 2 hours or so. Looking forward to some nice BBQ in the morning. I will say, this grill takes a lot of work to hold temperature. I have found myself fiddling with it way too frequently. So far the smoke is going well but I'm not sure if leave this one unattended over night. We'll see how it goes. Pictures to follow.

I will say, love this grill, but it's super finicky to hold temp for a long cook. I have it basically wrapped in foil per other posts and I'm still baby sitting more than I'd like. At some point, i think I'm get a dedicated smoker, but tonight we press on...

Comment

Last of the pecan wood on. It's been smoking away for almost 3 hours. Ready to finish it low and slow. I'll let you all know how it turns out. It's been a yo-yo battle with the temp on this grill. Going to leave it be for a while

Comment

@boilingknowles, I an Going to start a smaller Pork Butt on the Weber Performer, S 'n S, and DigiQ-2 Temp Control! I plan to have it Smoking at 250* F @ 10:30 AM! I will post some Pics as it goes along! Why don't you Do the Same?
        Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

bollingknowles If you are concerned about holding temps, I suggest getting a PartyQ or something similar. I have a 22" Weber kettle with a SnS and a PartyQ. The PartyQ is probably not needed but old habits die hard...lol

Comment

Thanks, partyQ might be the way to go next time.

Comment

Im not sure a partyQ will help much on that big gasser. I have found it a bit easier to control the temp about 4 to 6 inches above the grate for some reason. I have a rack the raises my cook area up so to speak. I'll find a pic that may help explain.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Jon Solberg; May 8, 2016, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                Jon Solberg commented
                Editing a comment
                I guess what I'm trying to say is it seems easier to hold a temp above the cooking great then on it. I put a cook rack or sheet pan if I'm baking on the riser rack. It's by no means set and forget.
                Last edited by Jon Solberg; May 8, 2016, 11:50 AM.

Good tip and interesting.... I'll check out the temps higher up next time i fire it up.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                Jon Solberg commented
                Editing a comment
                I have no idea why this is. Maybe it's less drafty up there or something.

I can't wait to hear how you cook turns out.
                Last edited by Jon Solberg; May 8, 2016, 11:59 AM.

I'm at 195 and taking it to 203 probably.... Can't wait, almost there.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                Jon Solberg commented
                Editing a comment
                HA. This is always the hard part for me.

Well it's done and it turned out great. Let it rest for a few, shredded it and had a big plate.

Comment

Awesome cook sir. Pat yourself on the back for gassing that. It is by far the hardest smoking to do IMO

Take a bow and enjoy! You earned that
                Pork!
                Last edited by Jon Solberg; May 8, 2016, 01:21 PM.

Comment

That looks good enough to eat. I agree with Jon - That is a nerve-fraying task. I have a pork shoulder on my list for this Summer, but I also expect to sit up with it and fret even though I have long experience with charcoal. I am impressed.
                  Last edited by Harry; May 8, 2016, 01:30 PM. Reason: edit - add "expect to".

Comment

Everyone loves their cooker for their own reasons. I love my egg because there is no fretting as I sleep,through the night. Reverse searing takes a little more attention though.

Comment

Good job! I have no (helpful) comment because every gas grill I've ever had the misfortune to work with had two temps, "Off" & "Incinerate"! They're probably better now, but I'll stick with what I'm comfy with, wood & charcoal...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here