Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Pork Butt on a Rainy Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Pork Butt on a Rainy Day

The rain caught me off guard, but that didn't stop the cook. I had been dry-brining this 9lb butt since the night before. Up a little before 6 to start the fire, and got the meat on at about 6:30. The rain slowed things down a little, but not much. I had to run the fire a bit hotter than normal to maintain a good coal bed.

I panned at close to 170 internal temp, right as it was leaving the stall, then took it out of the pan at about 195 to finish up. I added some butter, molasses, and a bit of maple syrup at this point. Sometimes I add some apple juice, but didn't have any on hand. I add these for flavor, the meat is always more than moist enough even if I don't add anything. The only reason I pan to catch the juice for the sauce.

The sauce was made from the pan juices while waiting for the butt to finish. Add some vinegar, chili powder, molasses, rub, garlic salt, black pepper and a touch of maple syrup. Reduce to desired consistency.

Twelve hours all told from start to finish. Sammies and enchiladas in the next few days to come.

The pics can speak for themselves. (Yes, I snitched a little when I took it out of the pan to firm up the bark for the last 30min.)

PS - If you gotta use claws to pull your pork you ain't doin' it right.

PPS - Although you can see a bag of KBB that got caught in the rain, I was using mesquite splits for the cook. After I panned and covered I switched to my stock of aspen since the smoke would no long affect the meat.
    Last edited by boftx; April 30, 2016, 08:28 PM. Reason: More info on the panning and why.

Nice, I thought you had a COS. You on the lower end of the EOS group with that thing.

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope, That's the small OK Joe and costs just a little more than a Char-Griller Pro. If you saw the leaks in the firebox you would have no doubt about the COS part, not to mention the stack could be at least 1/4" - 1/2" bigger in diameter for better air flow.
      Last edited by boftx; April 30, 2016, 08:31 PM. Reason: Typos

Woof woof! Love the bark on that baby!!

Comment

Looks really good to me.

Comment

Ok boftx go ahead and make me hungry

Comment

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          That's just the appetizer. The real meal will be tomorrow or the day after: enchiladas and maybe even some chili if it stays cool.

boftx, Mail me a Box of your BBQ Pork Butt! 👍👍🐷👍👍 Thanks for the info on your Offset OK Joe Smoker! I have a Brinkman COS from Lowes that I have started to Modify! Kind of a work in Progress? I really like it for Larger Cooks! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks like you got a good start on it!

If you use two forks to pull pork you ain't doing it right! !

Comment

Looking very good to me.

Comment

Looks awesome!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here