Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baby Back Ribs Wood Smoked on the New Offset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For completeness, I have decided to also post the finished product pix here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ProShot_20160430_204321-01.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	162667
    The first 2 racks came off at mostly the same time. The third needed a bit more time so I left it on.

Name:	ProShot_20160430_204554-01.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	162668
    This pic really shows the moistness.

Name:	ProShot_20160430_205458-01.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	162669
    This one really shows off the awesome smoke ring (something I don't get at all with my Masterbuilt Electric, and only get a small one on my Landmann SS propane smoker in Va.

These ribs were delicious. They were devoured. I was afraid they might be too salty (if not for me, then for some of my diners) since the Huskee's Rib Rub I used had what seemed like a LOT of salt in it. But both Barbara (SHMBO) and her mother, who are both "salt sensitive" said they were not too salty. PHEW! The other guests were Barbara's daughter (who always loves my ribs so she doesn't really count!) and her new boyfriend who never ate my cooking before. Everyone (even Grandma!) scarfed down a fairly large portion and were licking their fingers!

The first 2 racks were eaten "naked" (no sauce). The third rack I sauced (what can I say, I prefer it!) with MH's Tennesee Hollerin' Sauce. It was delicious, but I actually prefer my Barrister DEW'sTM Rum Molasses BBQ Sauce.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Most people initially get freaked out since my rub contains salt, and think it's heresy. But it works. I've tried it saltless, and salted with the brown sugar topper is the way to go. Nice cook & commentary!

Looks awesome!! Nice smoke ring
    So what was the overall cook time at 225? Mine have taken up to 6 hrs!

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      About 6 hours here, too. As it was my first cook with wood and the offset, I struggled a little bit when to add wood to keep the temp from dropping too far, so I had some periods of too low temps which I'm sure added cooking time.

Great cook! They look like they came out really perfect. Nice smoke ring.👍

Comment

Dewesq55 how was the smoke flavor and what is your thoughts on an all wood cook now that you have one under your belt?

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      DWCowles the smoke flavor was great. My main thought on an all wood cook is that it takes a boatload of fuel, and, since I don't have a cheap local source of good smoke wood, it's expensive.l

Super cool!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here