Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baby Back Ribs Wood Smoked on the New Offset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby Back Ribs Wood Smoked on the New Offset

Here are the pics from my cook today:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ProShot_20160429_221906.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	162343
    Three racks of baby backs from Sam's Club. Pre-trimmed weight 10.49 lbs

Name:	ProShot_20160429_222326.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	162344
    Peeling the membrane (action shot!) All of them came of pretty easily once I got them started. You can see the butter knife at the top.

Name:	ProShot_20160429_224545.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	162345
    Rubbed/brined with HRR with added paprika for color and sprayed with canola oil spray. Ready to be wrapped and put in the fridge overnight.

Name:	ProShot_20160430_133844.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	162346
    This morning I hit them with another light dusting of rub.

Name:	ProShot_20160430_134549.jpg
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	162347
    Topped with dark brown sugar and ready to go on the offest.

Name:	ProShot_20160430_135154.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	366.1 KB
ID:	162348
    Here they are on the offset.

Looking good!

Comment

Since this was my first time with the offset, I thought I would document the start up process as well:

I started about 1/2 a chimney of Kingsford Blue and let them ash over. Then I dumped them in the bottom of my charcoal basket and used long tongs to make them roughly into a row along the center of the basket (I forgot to take a pic of that).

Name:	ProShot_20160430_130954.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	162352
      Then I put 3 Kingsford Hickory Mini-Logs on top of the charcoal and left the door open to let them get going. I also had a small fan blowing into the intake.

Name:	ProShot_20160430_131023.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	162353
      here they are all starting to catch. I closed the firebox door and kept the fan blowing into the intake.

Name:	ProShot_20160430_131857.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	162354 I waited until the smoke got thinner and bluer then I turned off the fan but kept the intake damper wide open.

Name:	ProShot_20160430_132736.jpg
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	162355
      With the smoker temp in the cooking zone on both ends, it was time to put the ribs on!

Comment

Here they are after 4 1/2 hours on. They are temping in the upper 170's to low 180's. They'll be done before too much longer:

Name:	ProShot_20160430_183440.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	162358

Comment

Hummm I can smell that Hickory smoke...Nice pics Dewesq55

Comment

They seem to have stalled. I've got 4 other people sitting here starving. Oh well. Murphy's Law, smokers corollary.

Comment

• ribeyeguy
            ribeyeguy commented
            Editing a comment
            Give them a beer and tell them to have patience.

Ribs don't stall do they?

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn't think so, but that's what it felt like.

Thick baby backs often need trimmed (filleted) or all that loin meat on top gets dry and the thickness of it delays the bend test. I hope they turned out great for you.

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            They did turn out great, thanks. I half expected then to be too salty because there was so much salt in the rub, but they weren't. The salt was pretty much perfect. But, I have to say, I really prefer my ribs with sauce. I sauced the last rack and it was really awesome.

Looks good to me! The only thing I would say is to use lump charcoal instead of briquets to start the splits, less ash that way.

Comment

Good to hear. Your rum sauce?

Comment

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              No, MH's Tennessee whiskey sauce. It was good, but I prefer my rum sauce.

Nice job!!!

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Nice job man. WTG! Glad your using that new cooker.

Comment

Dewesq55, Damned Good Looking Ribs! 👍👍👍👍👍 Where was Our Invite? 😪😂😡😂😪
                  Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Yum! Yum!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here