Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's talk country style!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk country style!

I'm not talking shoulder steaks, I'm talking about those cut from the shoulder end of the loin roast; the ones with the little curved bone on the edge. These cook more like pork chops; they get grilled.

So, I rubbed them with a generic rub; this is the rub that I made by mixing together all the partial bottles of pork and rib rubs. It's kind of garlicky, a little sweet, a little paprika-y, and a bit salty and peppery. Sounds pretty good, doesn't it? It is!

I grilled them on the BGE, using the GrillGrates, which really rock on a kamado. GrillGrates is a tool that solves a lot of kamado issues. You can skip a lot of the other work-arounds for getting direct heat and just get GrillGrates.

When they are done, I fill a sauce pot with barbecue sauce and simmer them for about an hour. I do this because it's how my mom did them. And, it tastes really good, they come out fork-tender, but still have all that grilled pork chop goodness! Following a theme, I had several half full bottles of sauce in the fridge, so I mixed together Dinosaur, SBR, and Roadhouse Texas Tango.

The photos tell the story. Notice that Grill Grates are pretty useful for standing the chops on end and searing that nice ring of pork fat! ETA, I shoulda cleaned the lens on the iPad, I think.
    Last edited by Mosca; April 25, 2016, 07:38 AM.

And the editing bug on iPad is back, when I edit all the line breaks vanish and I get the wall of text effect.

Comment

• bbqoaf
      bbqoaf commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahaha, I know, this happens to me too. Chops look great!

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Fixed it today on the PC at work. It's an iOS specific bug.

• Yelnoc
      Yelnoc commented
      Editing a comment
      the little curved bones are part of the ribs which take on more curve as they get closer to the spine - often selling collar as boneless ribs too

They do look good enough to eat...

Comment

Too bad I've already eaten!

Comment

Mosca the pork looks wonderful.

Comment

Great cook Mosca! We LOVE country style ribs on our homestead. They are most versatile.

Comment

I don't think this cut of pork gets enough respect. It has the nice meatiness of a pork chop at about half the price, and it is delicious. I think the reason is that when most people see country style ribs they are looking at the shoulder steaks. But the loin chop is really nice.

Comment

I like the thick cut shoulder "country ribs" too. Plenty of moist "dark" meat. YUM!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here