Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Tenderloins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Tenderloins

I have a couple of PT's and I am debating how to fix them.

I have considered using MH's dry rub and smoking them as one way and the other is using my favorite Greek seasoning and char grilling them over direct heat. I looked over the site and I didn't see anything on PT at all.

Maruaderer, check out http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porkn...oin_roast.html
    Make sure not to overcook it. Take it o 140 no higher. Hope this helps.

Comment

After looking at that article it is the tenderloin by looks. I don't want to stuff it but MH gives plenty of info for variations. I was going to have for supper tonight but, we have company coming to visit so I will salt and dry rub it tonight and we can have it for lunch tomorrow.

Comment

if you dont want to stuff i have had good luck cutting small slits in teh loin and shoving garlic and rosemary inside. Then doing a bacon wrap on the outside and smoking it. Turned out tasty.

Comment

I've done PT's stuffed with a pepper mushroom mix with breadcrumbs & seasoning. Used a narrow long knife & Cajun injector with its front cut off, giving a 1" cylinder to pack with flavoring. Covered PT with a weave of bacon. Smoked until just under cooked, then seared on grill. Sliced about 1/2". Looked like a pineapple ring with crisp bacon on the outside and a spice center.... Delicious

Comment

Bocefuss, your writing prose has me salivating for your stuffed PT.

Comment

This PT is 1 lb 3 oz and I am starting off salting it with Himalayan salt and put in the fridge for a couple of hours. I have some ideas and this possibly could be a bust but we will know by supper tonight.

Comment

After I left the salted PT in the fidge for 2 hrs I pulled it out and paper toweled the inside of the baggy and put 3 tbs of MMD in the bag returned the PT to the bag, seal shake to coat and return to the fridge for a couple of more hours.

Around 2 hrs from now I will set up the grill for hickory smoking and put the PT on. If i do it as a smoker it will be about an hour which is what I am leaning towards. My other consideration is to not smoke it and start it on direct heat for just a few minutes and then move it to indirect heat at around 300*F until the center reads 140*F.

Comment

I think plan A will be your best bet, plan B may make more drier outer edge from the higher heat. As long as you're careful though I think you're golden either way. 140 up to 145 max will yield your best juiciest result!

Comment

I agree with Aaron. I have smoked lots of pork tenderloins to an IT of 140F-145F and they are great. Lately I'm preferring 145F. I use MH's Memphis Dust on them.

Comment

When I do a standing rib roast in the oven (convection) I put it in initially for 10 min at 425*F to sear the outside. Then I remove it and reduce the temp to 200*F, put the roast back in until it is 130*F in the center. I give up 1/8-3/16" on the outer edge and it is rare all the way through evenly. So maybe only 45 sec on each side (4) and then to 250*F indirect heat to finish if I don't smoke it.
                      Last edited by Marauderer; July 17, 2014, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Thanks Mark, do you have any color left at 145*F?

Comment

Just a touch, but they are still tender and juicy. The problem with searing first before smoking is that smoke adheres/infuses better if the meat is colder. I learned that here: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...n_of_wood.html

If you want to sear the tenderloins, do a reverse sear and pull the tenderloins at 120-125F.

BTW, this smoking technique works well with pork loin chops too!

Comment

Yes I read that. I didn't express myself well,. I am going to smoke it and finish up direct heat and glaze it. Headed for the grill to get it going.

Comment

This is my pride and joy.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5712-M.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	2012

4 main burners a center searing burner and on the far right a smoker burner and box

Name:	DSCF5713-M.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	2014

I modified a roasting pan, you can see wher I crimped the end so it will fit my grill

Name:	DSCF5714-M.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	2015

And I bought some Weber stainless steel grates to fit over the water box.

Name:	DSCF5715-M.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	2016

Lets see how this posts and i will send more.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here