Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brine Boston Butt or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brine Boston Butt or not

I am getting ready to smoke a BB tomorrow night. I plan on putting it on around midnight and pull off around noon. I'll be wrapping it up and putting it in a faux Cambro so that I can take it to fishing camp in AR. for dinner Friday night. I was planning on taking it out and pulling it there but that may not be until 5:00 - 6:00 PM Saturday. I'll be leaving from the Memphis area (Olive Branch, MS) around 3:00. Will it hurt for it to be in the faux Cambro that long? My next question is about prep. I made up some MMD (living in the Memphis area how could I not try it) and I'm looking forward to trying it for the first time. My question is about dry brining. Would it be worthwhile to to dry brine in refrigerator for 12 - 24 hours before applying the MMD? Saw where MH in his post about pulled pork said don't bother with brining a butt but I've seen other posts that do. Someone please give me some direction to go. THANKS!!! Love this site!!!!
    I forgot to mention that I am smoking it on a Treager Jr.

I always prefer to brine mine. I am applying the salt and seasonings to 54 pounds tomorrow to cook Saturday night.

Comment

• markw
      markw commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a lot of meat! Thanks for the feed back. I'm leaning towards doing the dry brine. I may do it before I go to bed tonight, that way it has nearly 24 hours to brine.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Guest I cook so many butts I got tired of mixing a rub so I use a commercial rub that has salt. It does well applied a couple days in advance. No sugar so I sweeten them a little before I put them in the pit.

If you are using a rub that does not contain salt, I'd dry brine for sure. If you are using a rub with salt, I'd add that to the meat and let it set overnight in the fridge.

Comment

I know it's morning but +1 on the dry brine.

Comment

Where did you read about Mh not dry brining a butt? I think there may be some out of context miscommunication there. Always dry brine your meat, especially so with larger thicker hunks like butts. Salt is the main flavioing agent and it helps with moisture, and it needs time to migrate deep into the meat. 12-24hrs is perfect! 48hrs is also perfect!

Also, 3 hrs in a faux cambro is perfect! As long as you preheat the cooler and insulate all the space inside with towels. I like to use HOT water from the bathtub in my cooler for several min then drain and add the meat & towels.

Comment

Thanks for all the feed back it is very helpful!!! I did dry brine it, however I did not get a chance to do it until 7:00 this morning, I am going to start cooking at around midnight. How long before cooking starts should you apply the rub?

Comment

Hey Huskee, I think I got the idea about the brine from the article "PERFECT PULLED PORK RECIPE". In it there is heading that says "Skip the Marinade, Injections and Brines" however I think after rereading it that he was talking about wet brining because he goes on to say in the same section that "dry brining works and if you get salt down a day in advance it will penetrate some". I will have about 17 hours of brining on mine. I'm using MMD for a rub. How long before starting the smoker should I apply the rub. THANKS!!!!

Comment

Mine are loaded for Saturday night.
            Attached Files

Comment

Probably late news, but it never hurts to dry brine. I, too, use a commercial rub now. I swear the one I use was copied from the recipes we post here. It is essentially identical to the one I posted a long time ago. Nothing wrong with 3 - 5 hours in the faux camber, either.

Comment

I both wet and dry brine, depending on what I want. For pork, I love a vinegar based wet brine, sometimes. I also love just a good layer of salt and a day in the fridge too. The vinegar based brine gives very complex flavors that are just sublime, but it takes and extra 12 hours, even when you inject, for what I'm looking for. You won't taste the vinegar either, by the way, unless you want to.

No matter how you slice it, use what works for your given situation and objective.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here