Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To wrap or not to wrap - that is the question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To wrap or not to wrap - that is the question.

In the past I have dry brined beef and pork and then let it sit in the refrigerator overnight uncovered. Recently I have been seeing comments or photos of people wrapping meat before refrigerating. Is one method better than the other? Pros and cons for each?
    Thanx ~ Ron

I wouldn't worry about beef, but I would wrap pork, simply for the cross contamination issue. The benefits of not wrapping is that it helps dry out the crust for 'better' bark, if a drier bark is your cup of tea. Wrapping helps ensure it doesn't dry out and helps protect from drips in the fridge. Sometimes wrapping will just cause the rub to stick to the wrap, so not wrapping helps with that too.

Comment

I think it depends on the individual's refrigerator contents and what shelf you put it on.

Comment

I used to wrap for dry brining, but don't any more. Just put it on a wire rack setting in a cookie sheet.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          X2 and it goes in my "beer fridge" so odors of other foods don't mix with the meat ( & vise versa).

Thanx to all. I have also been placing meat on a wire rack in a cookie sheet after dry brining, but for the rack in the refrigerator now, I thought I'd try wrapping, so I wrapped it last night. A real test would be to either cut a rack in half and wrap one rack and not the other. We are at the point where we share one rack, so doing a whole rack each way just means leftovers... Wait a minute! That doesn't sound so bad...
        Last edited by RonB; April 19, 2016, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here