Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First round of baby back ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don't really want fall off the bone ribs. I like them with just a little bit of tug from the bone but a clean bone. BTW, I don't see anything wrong with those ribs...nice cook!

Comment

I'm with DWCowles "bite off the bone" is what I call it. Those ribs look amazing! The KBQ is a beauty.

Comment

Ok, started prepping a second batch of ribs. Got 5 racks to do for family tomorrow. 2 were packed by Costco and 3 were packed and sealed by some other company.

Tried removing the membrane from the 2 that Costco did, and wow! What a challenge. I don't think I did a very good/complete job with the membrane because it fought me every step of the way. It took 25+ minutes per rack and I still don't think it looks good. Taking a break before I prep the other 3 racks. My first round of ribs was significantly easier even though it wasn't all in one pull.

Comment

• vandy
          vandy commented
          Editing a comment
          All of the baby backs that I have bought from Costco already have the membrane removed, I assume they were the Swift Premium that come in a package of 3 slabs. Great job on them by the way, they looked very tasty.

• badf00d
          badf00d commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. I figured out they had the membrane removed when I started on the last 3. They had a bit of membrane left and it was easy to remove. I have no idea what I took off the first two, but those racks might not do so well. And thanks for the compliment.

Try using a butter knife in the middle of the rack at the slender side of the rack. Lift about an inch on two bones next to each other then slide your finger under the membrane and use your finger to separate the membrane from the bone. I then pull towards each end one at a time and it works practically every time with no paper towels or struggle.

Try this twist on your ribs. At the two hour mark or when you have the color you want on your ribs, mix this together and use it as a slather then "crutch" it for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

In a bowl mix in this order.

light brown sugar..about a cup
        two to three TBS of your rub
        two TBS cracked black pepper
        1/4 to 1/3 cup honey
        put on a glove and slowly add apple juice while mixing until you get the consistency of runny pancake syrup.

slather on ribs, foil in a tent air tight with a bit of apple juice bone side down, and put back on the heat for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Remove when just prior to the tenderness you want then put back on the heat to dry and finish. Sauce prior to removal and hit the sauce with direct heat to sear the sauce a bit and tighten up the ribs.

I made a believer out of my non rib eating wife with this one

Joe

Comment

• badf00d
          badf00d commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like you've landed on a technique. I'll give that a shot on my next batch of ribs. Thanks!

Penzys sells powdered rosemary:
        Rosemary is the perfect herb for seasoning pork and lamb, from chops to roasts.
        Last edited by RonB; April 18, 2016, 09:20 PM. Reason: Edit to add Penzys doesn't allow direct links. You can search for rosemary

Comment

My local butcher supply shop sells ground rosemary and yes, the price is correct $3.95/lb. I bought a 1/4 lb in the fall and I'm pretty sure it will still be around this fall.
          Frisco Spices carries Rosemary - Ground and many other types of Whole Spices!

Comment

I'm a big Penzey's fan

Comment

Wow, that makes Penzeys 14 times higher in price than Frisco Spices!

Comment

Originally posted by badf00d View Post
                Wow, that makes Penzeys 14 times higher in price than Frisco Spices!
                I think one of the reasons they are more affordable is they only package in resealable brown paper sacks. On the plus side, they don't fill your order until it is received, meaning they don't have a bunch of small packages lying around. I am fortunate that I can run in over my lunch hour and place my order. While they are filling my order I can take a look around the shop like a little kid in a toy store, but I digress. The spices are really fresh so you don't have to worry about them losing their punch in 4 months like some of the ones that are on the shelves at the grocery store. I messed up and bought a 1/2 lbs of their 90H cayenne pepper about 3 years ago and it still packs a punch.

Comment

badf00d here is my shopping list from last week:
                  Spice Price Amount Total
                  Allspice, Ground $ 7.88 0.25 $ 1.97
                  Garlic, Granulated $ 5.95 0.50 $ 2.98
                  Black Peppercorns $ 14.50 0.50 $ 7.25
                  Top Flake Salt $ 1.10 3.00 $ 3.30
                  Crushed Red Pepper $ 5.50 0.25 $ 1.38
                  Ground Cumin $ 6.00 0.25 $ 1.50
                  Coriander, Ground $ 3.50 0.25 $ 0.88
                  Coriander, Whole $ 3.95 0.25 $ 0.99
                  Paprika $ 5.35 0.25 $ 1.34
                  Greek Oregano $ 6.95 0.25 $ 1.74
                  Onion Powder $ 4.00 0.25 $ 1.00
                  Seasoned Pepper $ 6.81 1.00 $ 6.81
                  Seasoned Salt $ 3.83 1.00 $ 3.83
                  $ 34.97

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here