Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I trimming the ultimate ham correctly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I trimming the ultimate ham correctly?

This is my first try at this ham. Ironically its Easter weekend. Does anyone have some thoughts if I'm trimming this correctly? The skin was really only on the shank, and everything else looked to be from the previous cook. My thoughts were to take that off too and get some new smoke on there and let the glaze get right on the meat. Maybe I've already gone too far.

I was going to trim some more but it looks like that will pull off a pretty big slice of meat since there is a thin fat layer so close to the edge.

It looks good to me. I try and take the leathery skin off and leave the rind on.

Comment

If you want fresh smoke you need to get all the brown skin off.

I had someone drop off a 16+ pound ham for Thanksgiving. A stinkin' beast. I cut down the fat so they were not chewing through 3" of it.

Comment

Here's one I just prepped if it helps any:
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting this! Trying my first smoked ham today. The pics are very helpful with regard to trimming.

Comment

I take all the skin and fat off. Nobody eats that fat and when they cut it off there goes the glaze. I think you done good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here