Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first cook - Pork & Beef Ribs, plus sausages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first cook - Pork & Beef Ribs, plus sausages

I treated myself to a 57cm WSM last September.

Luckily within a short bus ride is a very good butchers shop call Turner & George. One of the owners is Richard Turner, who is very well known in London for being the executive chef of the Hawksmoor Steak restaurants.

I toddled over there and bought:

A whole rack of breast (spare) ribs
    A 4 rib of short beef ribs
    4 Angel Hot Guts beef sausages
    4 Pepper Pig pork sausages.

The butcher also kindly gave me some fatty offcuts so help with the seasoning of my new smoker

I got them home and fired up the Weber, using the minion method. I filled the water bowl with hot water.

It got up to temperature quickly, even with all the bottom vents shut. I think I put too many lit coals in as the temperature quickly rose to 275+.

I bought the Franklin Barbecue book, and prepared the ribs accordingly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	iPhone Photos 061.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	148248

Name:	iPhone Photos 064.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	148249
    All dusted up

Name:	iPhone Photos 066.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	148250

I forgot to photograph the dusted up ribs

I threw the ribs on the barbecue

Name:	iPhone Photos 071.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	148252

Also got to use my remote themometer!

Name:	iPhone Photos 073.JPG
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	148253 !

After a few hours, I had a look and they looked very exciting. I was having real problems with the temperature, it spiked up to about 310 F at one point, even with the bottom vents shut. I wound up refilling the water bath with cold water which did the trick for a while.

I cooked 2 different types of sausages, the Angel Hot Guts were described by a Texan barbecue enthusiast I met as the closest to Central Texas style barbecue sausages he's tried in the UK.

I went for the 3-2-1 method of cooking ribs, but wound up doing 3-1-0.5 as it was cooking just so quickly.

The ribs came out well - they were a bit over done, the ribs pulled right out of the meat when I cooked it. The meat was still lovely and tender though and the bark was good.

Name:	iPhone Photos 089.JPG
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	148259

This was after an hour of rest

Name:	iPhone Photos 091.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	148260

A nice cross section, and it tasted good!

The beef ribs didn't come out so well - I would up pulling it at about 220 F as it rose too fast as I was sorting out the pork ribs.

Name:	iPhone Photos 096.JPG
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	148261

I was very happy with the bark, but the inside was overcooked and very dry.

Name:	iPhone Photos 097.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	148262

I was very pleased with the smoke ring, but the meat was very dry and I could just about slice it. I wound up cubing it and using it in chilli, which worked well. The wet cooking broke it down nicely.

The sausages had about an hour and a half, and came out really well. The Hot guts took the smoke much better than the Pepper Pigs.

Name:	iPhone Photos 094.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	148263

So there we go!

I've done 2 further cooks and the heat was much more manageable each time.

Any feedback and suggestions are more than welcome

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here