Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Knuckle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Knuckle

Hey guys, my local supermarket has started selling non-standard cuts of pork. I want to support this effort and bought a ham knuckle.

Does anyone have any idea how to cook it? It's approx 1kg in weight, looks to be pretty light on meat but covered in skin, so I'm pretty psyched for some crackling action.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Drew.

Do you mean ham hock? I would suggest a good dry brine, then smoke them until they're at the safe temp (145). I am not sure if they benefit from true low & slow, but maybe try one at 145-150 like you would a pork chop. Then if they're too tough, take them up to ~200 and try. If that's no good try wrapping them and holding an hour or so and try again.

Comment

• the_drew
      the_drew commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Huskee, thanks for this advice. And sorry for slow reply!

Hi the_drew :

Welcome to the Pit.

I've asked a few times about how to cook pork knuckles (ham hocks) and haven't gotten a response.

The best I've ever had was in Vienna Austria where they call it Stelze. In Bavaria, it's called Schweinshaxe.

Either way, it's a treat. But, all the recipes for it that I've ever found are to cook in an oven.

If you browse around the Internet, I'm sure you can find some recipes.

Jim

Comment

• the_drew
      the_drew commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Jim

I want to thank you for your response and apologise for the slow reply. I have no excuse.

Click image for larger version

Name:	stelze.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	147974

Hmm, maybe a photo would get a response.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here