Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs - On the condition you wrap, why meat side down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribs - On the condition you wrap, why meat side down?

On this site, when discussing wrapping ribs (http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...as_crutch.html), MH says to place the ribs meat side up, but with the option of meat side down. It seems everywhere else though states to place them meat side down, and I am curious as to why this is. To me, the biggest downside of wrapping isn't making them too mushy, but having any liquid in there (apple juice, honey, etc.) removing the rub from the ribs.

Wouldn't placing them meat side down increase the risk of this happening, whether it's because of the pressure of the meat on the grates, or the liquid pooling towards the bottom? In Harry Soo's video seminar, he does a great job in explaining that if you wait long enough to make sure the rub is fully crusted on, the liquid should not remove any rub. But why take this risk? Is there an advantage to placing them meat side down? With this in mind, would it be better to place the additions in the wrap on the bone side, the same ingredients on the meat side, THEN adding apple juice or any other liquids towards the sides, and finally placing the ribs meat side up so the liquid never has a chance to remove any rub from the meat side?

Well that's a great question. In my opinion, I would think that by placing the ribs meat side down you are emerging the most flesh to the liquid therefore getting more bang for your buck as it were(flavor from the liquid). I always unwrap my ribs and continue cooking unwrapped for the last 45 min to an hour to reform the crust. I hit them again (lightly) with said rub. (think chili cooking and multiple dumps of spices). I then paint a thin layer of whatever bbq sauce I am using the last 30 min then finish with a thin layer of honey the last 10-15 min. They firm up and that candy crackle bark is there overtime. Hope I was somewhat helpful.

Comment

Yeah in this case it's not about bark it's about meat treatment with whatever the liquid in the foil is. If you place them bone side down the meat won't get any 'marinading' or whatever the goal is, rendering the liquid useless. I don't do it that way. If you watch YouTube 'how to make the best ribs' videos there are a lot who do.

Comment

Thanks for the response guys. I had always thought that you get negligible flavor enhancement from the actual liquid portion of what you put in (e.g. apple juice) marinading the meat, and it was meant to more so braise the meat to further tenderize it. So my thought process was to still get flavor enhancement from brown sugar and honey (what I happened to use this time) on top meat side up, and then still get the same braising effects without the risk of losing rub by pouring the juice on the sides and letting it pool on the bone side. I suppose though you may not get quite the same effects of this braising/tenderizing if the liquid isn't touching the meat? I guess I'll have to keep experimenting!

Comment

Huh. I thought it was because the bones are more likely to puncture the foil, and if you point the bones up then the liquid won't drain out through the holes.

;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Mosca View Post
            Huh. I thought it was because the bones are more likely to puncture the foil, and if you point the bones up then the liquid won't drain out through the holes.

;-)
            That makes as much or more sense than anything else I've read. Too much thinking going on. Somebody just do two slabs (one each way) and see if there is an appreciable difference.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here