Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hanging Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hanging Ribs

I want to try hanging ribs for competition. I know it's a standard thing for PBC, but not for offset cookers. Anybody out there hang ribs not over direct heat?

Did that in my KBQ once. They cooked faster at 225, I remember going to check at 3 and half hour mark and they were done.
    I did notice a tighter texture, like I grilled them. I haven't revisited the experiment.

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't de-membrane ribs before cooking. I do that after.

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Comes off easier then. Do you find that you get smoke penetration without taking the membrane off?

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Smoke doesn't penetrate either way. But I got plenty juicy ribs from NOT de-membraning.

It seems they would do best laying parallel to the flow of the air.

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      That's how I cook them now. Start meat up on the hottest rack and turn 180 degrees at 1 hour. Flip bone side up after another hour. I'm just thinking that hanging may benefit with juices flowing downward.

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      CandySueQ , why do you rotate them, and the turn bone side up?

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Heat moves right to left, ribs aligned with this movement. Rotate to get other ends toasty too. Flip after the rub sets on the meat side to get color on the bone side. Then wrap in foil or not.

I'd like to try this with a chicken in the KBQ. I did ribs yesterday, I should have hung them.

Comment

Spinaker my KBQ chicken always hangs in there.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, i gotta try that method.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here