Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork loin roast question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork loin roast question

I have a heritage hog pork loin roast I expect to cook Monday (looking like a work from home due to weather kind of day). It appears to have more fat than I am accustomed to in a pork loin. Pics of top and both ends are below. I REALLY don't want to screw this one up!

Should I cook it like a loin, or take it up to a higher temp and pull?

Any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated!

That looks like the sirloin end?? It's got some fat for sure.

Normally I'd say that cut wouldnt hold up to low and slow but the fat on connective tissue in it say it will.

Man there's not much meat on it. I'm leaning toward steaks to be honest.

I'm very curious to here what folks have to say on this one.

BTW Great post Bro! I love starting my day with a coffee and a pork puzzle. Thank you.
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; February 14, 2016, 07:20 AM.

Comment

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Jon.
      Not trying to play stump the experts, but I want to bring this baby to its highest potential. Not a common pig, for sure!

I am really anxious for others thoughts, too!

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      Dude, I'm no expert for sure.

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      Me neither, Jon! That is why I ask here!

And I never count out the possibility of mis-labeling, either.

Yum... that's what pig is supposed to look like. Darker meat & plenty of flavor (fat). You have lottsa muscles running lottsa directions. I almost think that looks more like the butt (front) end of the loin than a sirloin (rear) end roast. Looks enough like a butt that I would treat it like one. IMHO: Plenty of fat for a low & slow. Pull it. Bet you won't be sorry. Looks delicious! Good cooking!

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      HorseDoctor and richinlbrg it looks more like a butt to me and I would cook it that way. It is much darker and marbled than any loin I am familiar with.

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      The color is due in part to it being an heirloom. Cross between large black and Hampshire. But the marbling has me a bit confused at to whether it is correctly labelled.

Whoaaa! I've never seen fat like that that on a "loin", and I've just cut one up. Half chops, half for roast. I wonder if this was mis-labeled?

Haven't tried the recipe below for Carnitas, but I now have a set of Bear Paws thanks to #1 watching the show. If your folks like Mexican, this could be a solution, and you could become the hero of dinner!

Personally, I wouldn't fool with the grill on this piece. Last Smithfield Ham was 75% fat and I don't buy them anymore.

HTH - let us know what happens!

-- Ed

Comment

I too question if that is loin. Looks more like from the shoulder.

Comment

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you! How would you cook it, Meathead ?

• Medusa
        Medusa commented
        Editing a comment
        Described this to butcher. He said it sounded like a butt, but I definitely agree with MH. (Not that I'm an expert at cuts - LOL!)

What is in the circle looks a lot like money muscle you find on one end of a pork butt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MoneyPork.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	141758

Comment

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        Good eye!

So you think this should be taken to 203 and pulled?

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        "Money muscle", my thoughts exactly! Is there a bone anywhere in that hunk o meat? Yup, low & slow to above 200 & pull it!!!! Bet it'll be awesome!

Meathead , Jon Solberg , Jerod Broussard , HorseDoctor , Medusa , @l a porkbutt , THANK YOU!!!!!

Took it to 203 +, 2 hour faux cambro. Cooked on SnS'd kettle with hickory, crutched. IT IS AWESOME!!!

It was definitely mis-labelled (see pics). But it is rich, juicey and WONDERFUL!!

Thank you all for your inputs, without which I may have made a grievous error. Pulled pork is this cuts best and highest use that I know of.

Can't tell you how appreciative I am for this site and your help!

Comment

Awesome!!!

Comment

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, it really is, and so is this site.

Where else could I get this kind of help????

Rich. You did all the heavy lifting bro. Pat yourself on the back.

Great job on a great cook. WTG

Comment

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, Jon! Means a lot!

I was only smart enough to ask for help.

Nice looking!

Comment

Well Done! and kudos to you for pulling this off - YAY!

-- Ed

Comment

There is the blade bone I was wondering about! Mislabeled for sure! If it tastes half as good as it looks, you done good!!!

Comment

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            HorseDoctor , some of the best I've had.

It sire was mislabeled, and I'm glad I had the help here! Going to look at what else I have in the freezer! We might have another storm coming this upcoming week!

Congrats, richinlbrg , that's some beautiful pulled pork. It's good you had the Great Minds of the Pit for advice. They've saved my bacon many a time as well. Enjoy eating all that porkalicious goodness.

Kathryn

Comment

richinlbrg so happy it worked so well for you. If it looks like a butt, cooks like a butt, tastes like a butt, and has a bone like a butt, it must be a butt - that's my favorite cut of low and slow. It is a testimony to you and your cooking skills.

Comment

Thank you fzxdoc and LA Pork Butt !

Kathryn, this site has saved so many cooks, butt this one takes the cake. And when you ask a question, you just never know who it is that will be enlightening you. Could be a KCBS judge, a competitor, a chef in Alaska, Meathead himself.... you just never know, but it always seems to work out perfectly, doesn't it?

LA, once we figured out what we thought it was, it was just a simple smoke we've all done so many times!

FWIW, the pork is LONG gone! That sow may have been a testy one, but she sure was sweet and guuud. Back to the freezer tonight when I get home tonight to see what else I have hiding in there (another winter event might come our way next week)!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here