Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First picnic roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First picnic roast

Lesson learned. I checked the front end of the web site for recipes for Picnic Roasts, and didn't see one. Should have looked in the pit. Everyone says remove the skin.

Wasn't sure whether to remove the skin, or leave it on. Found a recipe that said leave it on, and cook it at 500 degrees to crisp the skin for cracklin's. I guess they were cooking indoors.

After about 10 hours on the WSM 14.5 at 225 (temp reading 245 because I opened the vents to raise the temperature and shorten the stall), I fired up the Kettle/SNS. Figured I'd cook on the cool side, but set it down too close to the fire. The now melted fat from underneath the skin quickly went up in flames, and burned the skin. Good news is it was easy to scrape off the now mostly liquefied fat under the skin along with the skin. Roast tasted terrific, but skin went to the garbage can. Got a picture in the middle of the cook, but was too busy salvaging dinner to get a picture at the end with the fat and skin going up in flames.

jgg85234, When I was a kid +-110 yrs ago, the Skin was always left on the Pork when it was slaughtered! Before the intestines were removed The hog was Scalded and the Hair Scraped off. The Skin was left on during any Curing or Smoking! Skin on Fresh Pork as well as the Cured Hams and Shoulders were typically Boiled! This removed some of the Salt then it would be roasted or whatever? BBQ was not Yet a Proven Concept?
    Hope this helps you out, I think you might have had an old recipe? For your info the Pork will be less likely to freezer burn with the Skin On! For My Nickel I think your time would be Well Spent Skinning the Shoulder, Ham or Bacon before Grilling!
    Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Kudos to that Thermoworks set up.

Next picnic I do is getting the usual deskinning and defatting, it is also getting deboned and rolled and stuffed.

Comment

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        What are you going to stuff it with, Jerod Broussard ?

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Who knows. May add some bacon pieces, high temp habanero cheese, I'm not really into all that stuff they put in pork loins, I will sous vide too.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here