Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you are a member you must log in now. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The age old question... How much butt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The age old question... How much butt?

So I'm throwing a super bowl party and making some pulled pork for about 20-25 people. I know the rule of 1/2 pound of cooked meat per person but in addition to the pork we are having a 6ft hero (or sub or whatever you want to call it), a ton of appetizers and dips, chili, wings, and someone is bringing a brisket (I'm not sure how big though). Should try to get a big 10 pounder or go for two 6-8 pound butts or am I getting way too much pork and I should get less? I have a pellet smoker so I'm definitely not scared of smoking over night. I'm more concerned that I have enough food.

PS. I just moved down to GA from NY so if anyone is in the Cumming/Dawsonville/Alpharetta area maybe we can get together.

I'd get two 8-10 pounders and split those in half.

Comment

it freezes well. make more than you think and if you have leftovers it's better than running out. if you do a good job (which i'm sure you will since you are here) maybe people will want to take some home as well.

Comment

When I'm calculating the amount of pulled pork for catering, I use 1/4 pound of cooked pulled pork per person. This is usually provides enough to have a little left over afterwards. Like DeusDingo mentioned, it also freezes beautifully, so always great to overestimate and have a great meal at a later date.

Comment

Thanks! I definitely know it freezes well. I made entirely too much in October for a friends daughters birthday party. My friend bagged it in portions and he was still eating it a couple of weeks ago!

Comment

Lots of variables, most importantly mix of women and children and then other food. Sounds like other food is a lot so one big one is probably fine but I would probably do 2 smaller ones, for a few extra bucks worth of meat (fuel is getting burned the same either way) you can be the hero if the brisket isn't a hit.

I can't recall ever having a brisket in GA so there might be a pretty good chance they messed it up

Comment

Hmmm... It depends on how good your pork butt tastes. A grown man that has never had really kick ass pulled pork is likely to consume huge quantities of food.😆

To much is much better than not enough.

Sometimes I'll smoke a big pork butt and shred it and add a taco bar around it, in addition to buns for pull pork sandwiches. I find they go about 1/2 and half, tacos and sandwiches.

Comment

Found this today: http://www.bbqrevolution.com/caterin...-servings-per/

Comment

• aperalta85
                  aperalta85 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Awesome so 25/2.6=9.62 or 10 pounds of cooked food so 2 8 pounders should be way more than enough when factoring in everything else. Thanks!

• Dr ROK
                  Dr ROK commented
                  Editing a comment
                  When I cater I figure 1/2 pound of raw meat for 1/4 pound of cooked product. (I typically lose around 50% of the original weight in my pork butts due to bone, trimming, and cooking.) So far 1/4 pound of cooked pulled pork per person has worked for me in my catering business. It depends on a lot of other factors as mentioned in article and the replies above, but I think you'll have plenty using 10 lbs of uncooked pork butt. It's always better to have too much than too little.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes

Spotlight

These are not paid ads, they are a curated selection of products we love.

All of the products below have been tested and are highly recommended. Click here to read more about our review process.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our “buy now” links. This has zero impact on the price you pay but helps support the site.

The Efficiency Of A Kamado Plus The Flexibility Of The Slow ‘N Sear Insert

kamado grill
              Built around SnS Grill’s patented Slow ‘N Sear charcoal kettle accessory, this 22-inch kamado is a premium ceramic grill that brings true 2-zone cooking to a kamado. Click here for our article on this exciting cooker.

A Propane Smoker That Performs Under Pressure

The Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin’. Click here to read our detailed review.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

GrillGrates amplify heat, prevent flare-ups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily moved from one grill to another. Click here for more about what makes these grates so special.

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat-controlled oven. Click here for our review of this superb smoker.