Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resting/holding pork shoulder overnight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resting/holding pork shoulder overnight?

If I wanna serve pulled pork for lunch do I need to do an overnight cook or is it a good idea to pop a fully cooked and wrapped pork shoulder into an oven at 150 overnight like you would a brisket?

If you have a vac sealer and sous vide, by any chance, then you could smoke it the day before, vac seal it up, then reheat in the SV, which guarantees you won't continue cooking the meat. Comes out SO good, even after being frozen for weeks. It'd be fab just a day or two later.

Comment

No Need. Cook / Smoke it. Bag it, reheat it in either a foil covered pan in oven on low heat or in a chaffing dish with hot water. Heck a crock pot works just as well. It’s a pork butt, you can’t ruin it and it is what all leftovers wish they were.
      Ive catered several 100 + guest events with 40-60 lbs of pulled pork all reheated from frozen and its as good as the day it was cooked.
      Last edited by CHNeal; February 2, 2023, 03:24 PM.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 on crockpots. We have 3 that are used for holding meats when we have large cook outs. If they have the clamps on the lid to seal them even better.

• Stuey1515
        Stuey1515 commented
        Editing a comment
        "and it is what all leftovers wish they were" 😂😂
        Love this phrase, and so true too

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        I do it ahead of time as well, it reheats so easy.

Holding in the oven will work just fine. No need to cook overnight if it's going to cost you sleep.

Comment

Heck, it’s a pellet cooker. If you want to, you can let it run overnight and go to sleep. Just set alarms on your thermometers in case the meat gets done early or the cooker temp goes too low because you forgot to fill the pellet hopper.

Or cook it ahead of time, vac seal and refrigerate it and reheat the day of. With the combination of pellet cooker and pork butt, the world is your oyster. Almost impossible to mess up unless you start cooking too late and don’t have it done on time.

Comment

• GreaseShirt
          GreaseShirt commented
          Editing a comment
          Draznnl I don’t think my vac bags are big enough to handle this 10lb butt, was planning to leave it covered in foil and in its own juices while I reheat. REALLY don’t need it drying out on me.

• Draznnl
          Draznnl commented
          Editing a comment
          GreaseShirt What if you cut the cooked shoulder in thirds or quarters? Will those fit in your bags? Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

• GreaseShirt
          GreaseShirt commented
          Editing a comment
          In the end I just dropped the pit temp down to 150 once the (wrapped) meat hit 203 and held it there about another 12 hours- internal temp dropped to about 170 and stayed there the whole time. Food was delicious.

Best pork butt I did was overnight on PBC. You can also cambro that thing forever it stays hot.

Comment

Start early afternoon and cambro it overnight pull in the morning and put into an oven safe container. Warm it at 300 for about 20 minutes or so (make sure the container has a lid) just before serving

easy peasy.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here