Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Up side of 3-2-1 Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Up side of 3-2-1 Ribs

What is the upside of 3-2-1 ribs, besides acceptable fare? Timing.
    Timing, right? Six-hour cooking, one hour of rest. That is seven hours total--time to eat.

There is something to be said for predictable timing for dinner! And ribs are one of the few things I used to always cook by time, using the 3-2-1 method.

That said, I can't say I ever let them rest when I did the 3-2-1 method back in the day. Or 2-2-1 for baby backs. They were already fall off the bone, and I think a rest will let them turn into more mush. My family always raved about those fall off the bone ribs, but I've not done it much in the past 8-10 years. I prefer a little bite, without the bone pulling out of the meat in my hand...

Comment

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you ever think about making some fall off the bone for them but another section of a rack the way you like it? I only ask because I try so hard to cook them with that perfect bite and clean pull like you say but around these parts “fall off the bone” is the pinnacle. So what’s a cook to do, cook the way you like it or cook the way your guests will like it? OR, just maybe, cook both and open their eyes to the possibilities. That’s usually what I end up doing with predictable feedback.
      Last edited by Andrrr; January 19, 2023, 10:16 PM.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Andrrr I just have taught my family to like the ribs I make, and they don't usually complain. Every once in a while if I have some ribs that are taking long and dinner looks like it might be late, I'll wrap them for an hour towards the end of the cook, just to speed it up.

I imagine they would eat both if I did it both ways, but its been a minute since I had any ribs to cook...

You can trust 3-2-1 ribs. Whatever the variations might be: the quality of the slab, the ambient temp, the type of cooker, pit temp swings, whatever you can think of; 3-2-1 ribs are going to come out good. Sure, they might pull off the bone, but we aren’t judging bbq contests, we’re feeding faces. I guarantee you that those faces are going to be smiling.

Can you do better? Hell, that’s why we’re here. But I’ll go anywhere and enjoy your 3-2-1 ribs.

Comment

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      Very true. Good, bad or indifferent, in my experience you’ll always get the same results with 3-2-1 and predictability is worth something

3-2-1 ribs are a great introduction to making your own BBQ. Generally a foolproof technique if you can control the fire and the smoke. You can stop there and enjoy some fine ribs. Or you can keep learning and refining your skills, reaching for smoky sweet perfection.

Comment

I'm not sure my family would notice if the ribs were or weren't fall-off-the-bone. They eat them for the flavor, not necessarily for the texture.

Most folks love moist and tender meat, and that's what fotb ribs give you. It's a good technique to have in your arsenal, but since I prefer ribs with a bit of tug, that's what my family usually gets, unless I'm crunched for time at the end and have to wrap to meet my dinnertime ETA.

Kathryn

Comment

My wife likes FOTB ribs.

I, on the other hand, like things near the minimum safe temperature. I still have my original teeth so I have the horsepower to rip into them if needed.

Go carnivores!

Comment

After reading this and the 1-2-3 thread, I'm using tomorrow's cook of a pair of baby back racks to do a side-by-side comparison, with one rack done X-2-1 (where X will range from 2 to 3 depending) and the other nekkid, and see what there is to see.

We also much prefer the tug-off-the-bone to the fall-off consistency, but we have not done the side by side. Stay tuned!

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Be careful. You could end up in smokenoob 's situation , juggling two rib cook methods every single time.

K.

• Dadof3Illinois
            Dadof3Illinois commented
            Editing a comment
            fzxdoc That’s exactly where I’m at. Half of the family likes fall off the bone and the rest like a little tug. So I usually cook two different methods….not a big deal, we love to bbq anyway.

• DaveD
            DaveD commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, it's just me and my lovely bride, and we've chowed down on enough ribs to know neither of us prefers fotb. But, I've never performed the controlled experiment, and this pair of BBs is a perfect opportunity. I'm an experimentalist, I can't not take that opp!

Trim 'em
          Bribe 'em ($10 minimum)
          Hang 'em
          Smoke 'em till almost done...
          Glaze 'em if you feel the need
          Back on the heat to set the optional glaze
          Rest 'em

Eat 'em

Comment

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm down with the Eat'em

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here