Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quest to Amp up my Pulled Pork!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds right PaulstheRibList . I usually estimate when someone says they want to slice a pork butt to go to 180-190. That's where I go with boneless shoulder strips aka "country ribs". I've never yet sliced the money muscle, I must not know what I'm missing! But that's a great fail-safe to keep in mind when the cook is too slow and the natives are restless, slice her up!

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post

... I do a case at a time, put in headphones, cutting board holds 4 butts at a time and I just go to town, it usually takes an hour to cut, prep, salt, and vac seal the case. Takes work up front but it is totally worth it after a night of cooking, plus I get surprises so it is nice to be able to throw a frozen butt on and not worry about the dry brine etc. just light the coals and the butts are ready to go on by the time they are ready.
      _John_ , do you put the rub on before freezing the butts, or just salt?

And how many butts to a case?

TIA,

Kathryn

Comment

fzxdoc The cases at Sam's Club where I get mine come in those twin packs, 4 of those packs a case for a total of 8 butts. Case prices are generally a great discount, I typically pay $1.05-$1.15 a pound, the butts average about 8-10 pounds a piece so the case usually goes for about $80. The non-case price where you just buy the 2 packs is almost $2 a pound so buying by the case is well worth it.

I do not rub them prior to freezing, salt only. My usual process is to paper towel dry after trimming, then putting on my salt, and then vaccuum sealing anything that won't be cooked soon which is pretty much a 2 person job unless you are cutting them in half. When I can I thaw in the fridge for a few days, since the salt is already on it then it is dry brining at the same time. I start my coals, open the bag(s) put on some mustard or oil and rub, dump on my coals and the meat is ready to go on. Same process with the frozen really but it is almost comical trying to get mustard and rub on what is essentially an ice cube trying to slide around.

Comment

Thanks, _John_ , for the additional information. I've never smoked anything directly from the frozen state, and am curious to learn whether it tastes, looks, or barks up any different from putting cold thawed rub-coated meat on the PBC. I'm always eager to try a new technique.

Kathryn

Comment

• _John_
            _John_ commented
            Editing a comment
            I could never tell a difference at all, it takes about an hour longer at PBC temps and that's it.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Good to know, _John_ --

K.

_John_ thinking back to Dr. Blonder's video, how the smoke ring forms on that cold meat, I'm guessing that smoking a frozen boston butt produces a pretty, deep pink ring?

Comment

• _John_
            _John_ commented
            Editing a comment
            Indeed it does, it also likes cold and wet, which you can't help but have on a thawing butt

Tonight's edition: Six Boston Butt's, each cut in half, all on the 22.5" WSM!!

Here they are when I trimmed, salted, oiled and rubbed with a generous portion of Memphis Dust last night.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6912.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	133836

I was planning to cook them on #WhoDat1, but my assistant forgot to pull the dampening plate from the charcoal/wood chute before loading and lighting it...whoops...

So, plan B!

We are planning to serve this as a supplemental for the 160 volunteers working tomorrow for Fresh Start Initiative, an event put on my our District Attorney to provide fro 250 people to apply for expungement of their record so they can get or get a better job! Isn't that rockin!

I was in charge of recruiting the 70 Non-Attorney Volunteers, and found out at the 1st training that I'm in charge of that group...nice. We had the 2nd training tonight, and I didn't get home until about 8:30, so the butts are on late. If they aren't getting quickly towards tender at 6 am, I'm putting them in the oven at 290 for an hour to finish them up, as I need to be up there by 8 am.

So, for timing, I'm up against it. I have a bunch of charcoal and some apple chunks in there, and all the vents are open. It's now at 250, so that's looking nice. I'm not going to open that lid, however, to show you guys how awesome my butt stacking is on those grates, because heat and time are in short supply for this cook!

I'll take a pic of the boston butt puzzle on those grates in the morning.

I'm so pumped about Fresh Start! So much so that I recorded a little video of it in case you are interested, link is Here, and I'll attempt to embed it below.
          <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_nD3GGoOJfk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            Good work you're a part of...my encouragement for the day. And no doubt some good pulled pork too!

Looking good, you must have pretty good weather, I did about that mass of meat this last weekend and with temps in the teens and wind blowing I fought all night just to stay 225.
          Probably too late now but watch the edges where the fire comes around the side of the water pan, that gets way hot.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
            PaulstheRibList commented
            Editing a comment
            That's hot!!!

It was low 40's high 30's last night, but only a gentle wind. I had the vents open about 70% on the bottom, so my super-full load of coals only lasted about 9 hours. I reloaded in the morning, got it back up to 270, and we pulled them at hour 13.

Problems with #WhoDat1 as I mentioned earlier, so we fit 6 boston butts, cut in half, on the 22.5 wsm. Put a full load of charcoal and had the vents open around 70% to get the temp to 275 all night (it was in the hi 30's during the night). Here are the butts about 10 hours in, the full load of charcoal it at its end - the temp on the pit was 217 when I got up. Put 1.5 chimneys of lit coals on, and she was good to go until Sam came back about 10:15 to pull them to serve lunch.

Name:	IMG_6928.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	134002

I LOVE MRS. BROWN!!! The increased bark from dividing the butt's into halves is a must for me. I only cook them this way now for the last year. I'm hurt if I go somewhere and the pulled pork does not have generous portions of Bark!

Name:	IMG_6942.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	134003

Here is Sam serving up the pulled pork to the hungry volunteers. When I opened that cambro, the smell filled the whole hall! Needless to say, they LOVED It! and there was nothing left. We did a mix of Blues Hog, Swamp Boys and Apricot Preserves as the main sauce. I like like like the Apricot!

Name:	IMG_6944.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	492.4 KB
ID:	134006

Today this rockin' group of peeps invested time n talent for the benefit of others, to help neighbors seek a ‪#‎FreshStart‬ via applying for an expungement of a criminal record. God is all about the Fresh Start; that's why he sent Jesus! So proud of our District Attorney and all the law enforcement agencies that made this happen. Oh, and 40attorneys and 70+ non-attorneys volunteered their day (I was in charge of recruiting the non-attorneys and managing that portion of the event). Today was worth the work.‪#‎RockOn‬ to my Jesus-following peeps who responded to the call to serve!‪#‎ItsHowtheCityGetsDifferent‬

Name:	IMG_6948-2.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	392.7 KB
ID:	134007

I was so glad to get to encourage all the volunteers and Law Enforcement with the BBQ! They loved it!

Your friendly neighborhood @BishopofBBQ
          paul

Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here