Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon - Mmmmm...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon - Mmmmm...

I'll let the pictures do the talking, but the short version of the story is that I used Meathead's Maple bacon recipe ("The maple kind? Yeah?) with a 3 lb. slab. I let it sit in the 1 gal. brine bag for about 2 weeks (not on purpose, but that's how it ended up). I used my GMG smoker with a tube full of apple wood chunks. Turned out fantastic! Best bacon ever - by far. I cooked it just before Christmas and had one day to slice it so I broke down and bought a slicer (Chef's Choice 615) from a small local fru-fru kitchen store. Turned to be less $$ than Amazon so I consider it a bargain! With the meat in the freezer for about 2 hours the slicing went great. I vacuum sealed packages for all my family members and it made a huge splash over the holidays.

Tonight I bought a 10 lb. slab from Costco ($26 - what a bargain!) and am planning to cut it into 3 pieces and do a triple version of the first cook. So easy and so tasty... thanks Meathead!!

PS - the photos didn't show up in order... you'll have to figure it out for yourself ;-)

Nice going. Make me want to order belly, and then tell the belly to..."Get in my belly!!!!"

Comment

CinciJeff, Jerod Broussard, Beautiful Bacon! Unlike you Jerod I have the Belly in the Freezer and all the ingredients in the cupboard! I just have to get off my Dead A-- and do it. Jeff your Pics may be the turning point for Me, THANKS! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Bum!! I got some deer back strap to either 1) take the silver skin off and freeze, or 2) just cut in half and freeze and worry about the silver skin later.....hmmmmmm choices, choices....

Oh yea... "that's the way you do it. Money for nothin' and your chicks for free" Dire Straits

Comment

Very nice! I did 32 lbs of bacon for Christmas gifts. Bought the same 615 slicer. Got mine from BB&B (-20% of course) and it worked like a charm.
        Jim

Comment

There is just something about bacon.

I made and brought in bacon for folks I work with, and now I have them bringing me bellies and cash and saying "Please......"

Not a bad gig at all.

Comment

kclark6595 Sounds like good work if you can get it and you get to smell all that bacon cooking while you are doing it. Nice job!!

Comment

That bacon looks amazing! ! Great job!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here