Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

first pork butt, which cooker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hortique View Post
    Well shoot, I think the PB may have hit a second stall. The first one lasted several hours, then it started cooking and smelling really delicious with meat temp climbing to 184. Now its back down to 183 and its been there for about 45 minutes. The total cook time so far has been about 13 hours. We are getting hungry. I'm thinking that this might take several more hours!
    Lots of folks are fans of not wrapping the butt at all, but what you're experiencing is precisely why I personally am a fan of wrapping after the first stall, when the IT is 180-190ish. You slide right through to the target, reserve some au jus in the foil, and most importantly dinner comes quicker! Are you doing a faux cambro hold?

Comment

I was planning on cooking this thing till done, waiting about 30 minutes, then pulling. So no, I wasn't planning a faux cambro hold. If I wrap now (meat temp is 181) and take it to 195 or so, do I need to hold it in a faux cambro or can I just leave it wrapped for 30 minutes and then eat?

Comment

I was planning on cooking this thing till done, waiting about 30 minutes, then pulling. So no, I wasn't planning a faux cambro hold. If I wrap now (meat temp is 181) and take it to 195 or so, do I need to hold it in a faux cambro or can I just leave it wrapped for 30 minutes and then eat?
        Often they can require ~16 hrs unwrapped, or they need a faux cambro hold of 1-4hrs if wrapped. It's not simply reaching a temp that makes them ready, it's a product of time & temp. The time is what helps the tough fats to liquefy and make it more tender and taste juicier. And I'd go north of 200, not 195. You may find it to be a tad tougher and a little drier if it's not fully 'ready'.

Comment

hortique Check out the SnS pulled pork technique if you haven't already http://www.abcbarbecue.com/#!slow-n-...lled-pork/cum7

There are several ways to skin this cat, I'm just sharing a couple of the easier ways for starting out.

Comment

ok, I just wrapped the beast and i will take it to probably 203 or so and then put in faux cambro and see what happens. It' s almost 8 pm where I live so I may need to fry some eggs for the natives who are getting very restless and eat this thing later. I'm determined to get this down. I guess I need to get up a couple hours earlier next time.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              Always start early since a good rest does a big chunk of meat some good.

hortique Personally this is what I do:
            Cut the butt(s) into ~4lb chunks. Season/dry brine the night before.
            Plan to give myself a good 10-12hrs. I usually start around 6am give or take.
            Wrap when the meat comes out of the stall, typically somewhere in the 180s or when I think 'hey that bark looks pretty good'. Usually this is about the 7-8hr mark.
            Let it go another 1-2 hrs now wrapped, up to 200-205, but timing can vary.
            Move it/them to a cooler with tons of towels in it so it's all snug & warm like a little delicious pork baby.
            Give it about 2 hrs more to hold.
            Gorge responsibly.

This is one of many ways to do it, and seems to be rather time-saving when using a kettle vs other ways.

Comment

Sounds like a good plan, I started the meat at 5:45 am this morning, but didn't realize how long a cook this was going to be on the kettle. I'm used to doing briskets on the PBC and they are usually done by about 8-9 hours including the faux cambro hold. It's definitely a learning curve, but I'm liking the way the Sns holds the temp pretty steady for a long time. Before I got the Sns, I mainly used the kettle for grilling. I think I will do as you suggest and split the butt into two pieces next time. More bark sounds good.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                More bark due to more smoke & rub surface, plus smaller hunks of meat usually = a little quicker cook time. Win win win!

So I finally reaped the rewards of a days worth of effort and I can definitely say it was worth it. 8 lbs of yummy smokey goodness. Unfortunately, everyone else already ate so I had to enjoy it alone. I ended up wrapping in foil with a little water at 184 degrees and pulled off the smoker at 205 degrees. It was very probe tender. Wrapped in towels and put in warm faux cambro for 1 hour and 20 minutes. I couldn't wait any longer. The bone slide right out, just like in the movies! Ha Ha. I will definitely do this again. I'm in "Hog Heaven".
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3845.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	133130 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3846.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	133131 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3847.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	133132

Comment

Looks amazing. Well done!

Comment

hortique You did PERFECT! That meteorite in the top pic is exactly what you want to see. The lighter spots are likely fat cap. Don't be shy about trimming all of that exterior fat off next time for more bark. And it will be just as good if not better reheated tomorrow for everyone else.

What was you total cook time, from start to wrap, then to to 205?

Comment

Thanks! Yes, that pic is fat cap up. I did trim, but maybe should trim a little more next time. Cook time from start to wrap was 14 hours and then from wrap to 205 was pretty quick, about 40 minutes.

Comment

Where do I find Meatheads cooking log? Is it an app for the phone?

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinBee BBQ View Post

Stuff like this pops up pretty quickly if you do a search while on the main site. In this case you would search "cooking log". I'm just offering this as helpful advice not saying go find it yourself. Here's the link: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...oking_log.html

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinBee BBQ View Post
                          I down loaded the pdf from that link to my desktop on my computer, then I just print them out as needed. It's very helpful, especially if you punch binder holes in them and get a BBQ notebook going.

Comment

Cook time from start to wrap was 14 hours and then from wrap to 205 was pretty quick, about 40 minutes.
                            So that 40min to 205, compared to the time from post-stall to wrap, shows you roughly the time savings you could get from wrapping when it first pops out of the stall then going to 205.

Again though, for the benefit of all reading this, I'm not trying to say wrapping is better or not better, just quicker. Each pitmaster is their own judge of the gives & takes they wanna give & take

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here