Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone done Pork Wings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Pig Wings!" They are bone in Pork Shanks. I've made them a few times. I get them from a buddy who works for a restaurant food supplier. Great for parties

Comment

Farmland (Smithfield) has them. My butcher just ordered me some. 4oz a piece, come in 3lb packs, 3 packs in a case. Have to order at least one case. So... 9lbs is going to cost me about $68.00. I’m trying these this weekend for game day food. I see this thread is pretty old. Have you found any of these lately? Do you have a recipe perfected yet??

Comment

​I'm sure these are fun but I'm going for the whole hock.

Looks like Smithfield retailers can get em.

http://www.smithfieldfoodservice.com...ts/pork-wings/
        So out of pure curiosity I went and looked at this link, and I found that Smithfield has an app. For your phone. Smithfield. Does anyone but me find that weird?

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Novus Ordo Seclorum - and all that!

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Exactly

nooe, but i have done duck wings, goose wings, turkey wings, quail wings (actually drums), even gator wings (forearm) but no pork wings.

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Blackshirt BBQ fibula and tibia would be the shin part of the rear leg. Ulna and radius would be forearm.

• Blackshirt BBQ
          Blackshirt BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, I only know what I’ve been told. So I guess I was told wrong. The butcher said "Fibula", so I’ll go with that.

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Blackshirt BBQ one is a fore shank and one a hind shank. Easy to get mixed up. No worries, potato; tater. Bet they are good whatever you call them!

Originally posted by John View Post
        Seems these are getting popular, a local place several friends go to said they tried them and were some of the best things they have had. All I know about them is that they are pork shanks.
        Anyone doing these? Seems like a butcher only item.
        Sysco caries them. We used them on a special event Yep they were a hit

Comment

• OmegaDog12
          OmegaDog12 commented
          Editing a comment
          @Thom Emery..will you give me the Sysco name for these. I have a chef friend who orders from Sysco regularly and would really like to try these. Thanks!

I've never cooked them but a local bar has them and they are dynamite. I think they fry theirs but they still were good. They also have a "Pig Wing Challenge" that I think someone from the food channel tried. I would love to try and smoke some but they are very hard to find.

Comment

Can't be that hard - I've got a neighbor with a drift of piglets that'll be ready in a couple months. Is it one forearm per wing?

Comment

• Blackshirt BBQ
            Blackshirt BBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            I think so. I’ve only had them once. It’s a hunk of meat (about 4oz), on the fibula bone. The bone sticks out like a handle. Very easy to eat, and easy to clean the bone. A lot like ribs. One bone per piece. I don’t know how many "wings" you can get from each shank though.

These folks sell them: https://pioneermeats.com/products/pig-wings/

Comment

Bump from 2014 ..... had to dig deep to find this one..... lol

Comment

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              And the OP isn't even around to read the responses. lol

My client in the Foodservice business used to have all of the marketing pictures about "when pigs fly" that went along with the marketing campaign for this introduction of a "new" product.

Since Farmland/Smithfield pulled their marketing efforts away from the regional brokers and went to a corporate only campaign, I haven't seen the marketing or the pig wings.

They were quite tasty, although, as has already been reported, they are pork shanks (the end joint of the front leg of the pig). This was new marketing for an old product.

Best regards,
            Jim

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here