Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

International Butchers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

International Butchers

Fellow meat freaks,

I am new to the pit, and am in need of some help! I am currently active duty U.S. Army stationed in Belgium, and I'm having a rough time with local meats.

A little background...
    The only english grocery is the commissary and it is NOT sufficient for my BBQ needs. Don't get me wrong, it has the basics, but nothing outside that.

I would like to dabble into the local butcher shops, but don't know where to start. All of them are french butchers. I have sourced some of my english speaking Belgian friends, but when I get to talking BBQ lingo, they are lost and I am back to square one.

My question is...
    Is there anyone who knows anything about french meat? Beef, Pork, etc. I only know of the Belgian Blue cattle, and it is SUPER lean and tough (see picture below).

I would like to shop at local shops but know nothing about them. Any help would be awesome! Thanks

Certainly not an expert on any of this but your questions made me go off on a quest for Google knowledge which was kind of fun.

Some things on the lean/tough. Look for British breeds of cattle, it may be tougher to find. Perhaps aging your own beef after purchase. It seems the French have very short aging/hanging times for their beef.

As far as nomenclature I'm sure you're already searched under french meat cuts.

Forgive me if you've already seen some of this stuff:

The clicky in the first post is also an interesting read.

Onglet is awesome on the grill/seared!

Comment

• Chuck T
      Chuck T commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks a lot. That actually helped a lot. Here in Belgium, it seems that the most common beef we find is either the Belgian Blue or Irish Beef. Some restaurants serve a variety of beef to let you taste the difference. As far as butcher shops go, I might have to just jump in and ask a lot of questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here