Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork loin roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork loin roast

I picked up a pork loin roast, about 7 lbs, from Costco recently and looking to cook it on my PBC or roast in the oven. There is an approximate 1/8"-1/4" layer of fat on the top of the roast. Should I trim off the fat? I am thinking about using the recipe below, it sounds pretty good.

Leave it. That little bit of fat is your friend. Pork loin, unless it's from a heritage breed is VERY lean. It needs all the help in can get both in moisture and flavor.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      I strongly second this suggestion!

Tim E, Just what HorseDoctor Said in MHO! 👍👍🐷👍👍. Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Awesome. Thank you

Comment

Tim E I usually trim the fat and butterfly the loin make a fruit stuffing paste it on, roll it and tie it with other butcher's string. Other times I cut it into 1" thick chops, leave the fat on, brine them, season them, and reverse sear them.

I took a quick look at your recipe. Molasses and apple go great with pork. Have a great cook.

Comment

• Tim E
          Tim E commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks LA, I will report back after the cook with the results.

Tim E I usually trim all fat caps on pork, even loins. Mainly because I don't like eating the intact fat on the finished product, but some do and there's nothing wrong with differing preferences. Take it to no higher than 145 IT and you won't need to worry about juiciness. Especially if you brine (wet or dry) it properly. I've had great luck with a quicker hotter cook with pork loin, like 325 or so, I'm thinking it may keep it even juicier from cooking it quicker. Look forward to your results!

Notice how this recipe says rest it 20 minutes. Ehhh... my advice, skip that. Cook it to to temp and eat it hot, or carryover can take it above where you want it.
        Last edited by Huskee; January 3, 2016, 11:34 PM.

Comment

• Tim E
          Tim E commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmmm, yeah I think I am going to go ahead and trim the fat then. Thanks for weighing in.
          I saw the 20 min rest note but it barely registered because I have become accustomed to ignoring that kind of nonsense. I have been educated far too well by you guys in here in the Pit to buy into that myth!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here