Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I’m Set For Pork…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m Set For Pork…

In the past when I’ve smoked something we’ve had friends or family over, sent some home with them, and had a little left for the next day or two. Tuesday was the first time I’ve intentionally smoked a lot of meat with the intention of vac sealing leftovers, and today I sealed up the six pounds of pulled pork I have left. Putting a bunch of pulled pork in the freezer felt pretty good - kind of like saving your tax refund even though you can think of 20 different things to blow it on…
    Click image for larger version  Name:	FF61AAEA-3BB2-4A29-AAA2-561C042828FF.jpg Views:	28 Size:	3.20 MB ID:	1308646
    Click image for larger version  Name:	79691DF4-578D-4506-AAD3-F7E323BBA611.jpg Views:	29 Size:	2.08 MB ID:	1308645
    Last edited by Sid P; October 14, 2022, 03:44 PM.

Welcome to the club! I almost exclusively cook for the freezer these days. Usually 4-6 9 lb butts and a 16-18 lb brisket. I do it 2-3 times a year. There is something very satisfying about loading a freezer!

Comment

• Sid P
      Sid P commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. What do you smoke on? Do you do that much all at once?

Yes! Great stuff. I am stocking up too. Got a lotta carnitas to make for sauna season.

Comment

• Sid P
      Sid P commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool. I bet you know how many pork butts fit in a KBQ - or do you fire up something else for your high volume cooks?

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yeah! the whole reason I got the KBQ was for high volume. High volume in a small foot print. Two per rack X 4 racks. 8 Pork butts in one cook is great. Sid P

Sid P

I’m a Weber kettle guy! A 22 will hold 2 9 lb butts or a trimmed 18 lb brisket.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	0A28C46F-BB99-489C-9D17-5E50E9F4EC51.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	1308661

Comment

• WayneT
      WayneT commented
      Editing a comment
      You should be on the cover of Weber Man magazine, a companion monthly to Cover Girl.

• Finster
      Finster commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow.
      Showing that there is more than one way to get a job done 👍

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      Love the lineup!

Good stuff. It is indeed time to stock up!

Comment

We’re bad about cooking ahead…
      Stews that use, "browned & drained," meat cuts are good, but not as good or quick as stews made with smoked meats… and cold weather stew season is upon us…
      We’ve got whole chickens to cut up for a Monday cook….
      There’s enough to eat, freeze and make smoked stock!
      Your butts look wonderful and it’s quite alright not to have guests over…
      But don’t let them know about it… and they’ll be fine…

Comment

It is a conundrum...
        it's good to be well stocked.
        But, if I'm too well stocked, I have no reason to fire up the smoker..
        Always working on trying to find that happy medium

Comment

• Sid P
          Sid P commented
          Editing a comment
          No conundrum here, as sometimes when I get busy I’ll go a couple months without doing a long smoke. This will have me saving money and enjoying more pulled pork. Thanks.

We do the same too. Just the two of us unless the kids show up with their families or a dinner for friends. We find that the brisket too will freeze just as well. Nice to have the inventory ready to enjoy.

Comment

Finster I was just having this exact conversation with my wife and a friend the other day.
          I starting stocking my freezer with bbq several years ago when I found myself cooking for a lot of large parties. I did 3 100+ guest graduation parties one spring and it just wore me out. I turned my beloved quiet overnight cooks into work! I got to where I just wasn't enjoying it so I would just load up like i was setting up to run for a group and instead putting it into my freezer.
          I am now to the point that I miss it but am too busy to old tired and old to miss a nights sleep which running 13-16 hour butts and brisket takes on a 22 kettle. So I just bought a SNS XL and their sns-500 thermometer. I am gonna let the stock dwindle down and start cooking regularly and hopefully still get some sleep!

Comment

WayneT I don’t know about the cover! However years ago before the " influencer" days. I was on the twitter pretty regularly with a good number of followers in both the Bourbon and BBQ communities. Weber was following me and named me their " Back Yard Cook of the Month" or some such and sent me a huge box of swag! Don’t know if they still do that type of thing but it was very cool and I was quite honored!

That was my 15 minutes of fame….

Comment

• Sid P
              Sid P commented
              Editing a comment
              I knew you looked familiar .

I'm doing this very thing today, smoking up a big butt with most of it destined for leftover vac sealing. Once you get used to having those packages of pulled pig on hand, you can't countenance running out! I have only two left so it's time to get my butt on...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here