Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Belly===>Pancetta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Belly===>Pancetta

I have a nice hunk of pork belly (sold today in a Tucson Costco for $2.65/lb (gas was $1.75!). I'm thinking of making pancetta using the recipe found here (http://ruhlman.com/2009/06/home-cured-pancetta/). It's a refrigerated cure, plus it's cured with nitrite, plus I'll cook it before use--any health concerns with this?
    Last edited by Willy; December 31, 2015, 03:24 PM.

Willy I've forwarded this to Meathead. He is the man to ask with curing, if he doesn't know he can at least give some sound advice....

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee, Erin are you up before you are awake? Dan

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Danjohnston949 I'm always up before I'm awake, that's a given! Oh, and it's Aaron not Erin

Ruhlmann rules. He is the final word on curing. I prefer wet cures as described here but I trust Ruhlmann
    Curing meat is not like any other recipe. You must be pretty precise about some ingredients.

Comment

​Huskee , Meathead Thanks for the help and the input! One batch of pancetta coming up!

Comment

Every time I get a 50# case of pork belly to make bacon, at least 1 slab gets cured & made into pancetta using Rhulman's recipe. Works great & tastes great. Been doing that at least couple times a year for the last 3 or 4 years. No health concerns here... well other than (as with the bacon) it's really easy to eat more than I should. Good luck & enjoy!

Comment

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, HD. Do you finish the slab at room temp or keep it in the fridge after the one week cure?

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          I split the difference. This time of year I hang in a downstairs room with heat vents off. It is usually in the 55 degree ball park in that room. I do it rolled & tied tight rather than flat. The last piece hung for close 3 weeks. I was aiming for 2 weeks but an elk hunt got in the way and put an extra week in the mix. It worked just fine that way. If you do see a little white mold forming that is normal, just wipe it with a piece of cloth dampened with white vinegar. Green fuzzy mold is bad, as is foul smelling meat. Not sure we are supposed to talk about non-cooked meats here but Meathead did reference Rhulman's work so maybe it will be OK??

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do make pancetta according to Ruhlman's recipe (link above). We made pasta carbonara with our homemade pancetta and it was great. We've survived 26 hours with no ill effects--LOL

I couldn't bring myself to do the final week-long cure at room temp, so I let it cure in the fridge on a rack over a sheet pan. It looked and tasted great (a nine day cure after a one week "marination")! Next up--Meatheads recipe for homemade bacon and, on the next trip to Costco, another pork belly is going in the cart. Pancetta runs up towards $20 per pound in my experience, so getting it for around $3 per pound is a steal.

As a side thought, it occurs to me that MAYBE it is best to freeze pork belly first when making bacon/pancetta, etc since part of the cure process is aimed at drying the meat out. Any thoughts?

Comment

Reading a Ruhlman book now, he is awesome. Last fresh pork belly I got was $10 a pound, I would be making all kinds of stuff with that!

Comment

Try UMAi drybags. EasyPeasy! They are also great for dry aging primal cuts (ribeye,sirloin,tenderloin,NY strip,etc. Also great for cured and dried sausages (Salumi). Charcuterie- whole muscle cuts cured, then dried in the reefer until 30/40% weight loss. (capicola, bresaola, duck prosciutto,prosciutto,) Had to get a hand me down reefer to keep my sweetheart happy!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here