Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riblets: What's all this then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riblets: What's all this then?

Have seen a number of cooks posted over the months featuring riblets, most recently from treesmacker, with SheilaAnn calling them her very favorite thing. I understand that they're ribs cut to smaller sizes and/or from a different part of the rib rack (so I guess I don't actually understand!), but haven't had them except maybe at a Chinese restaurant once in a while. Haven't ever seen them on a meatcase so I'm looking for a little Riblets 101.

Smaller pieces = shorter cook presumably... how do folks prep and serve these? Thanks for the edumacation.

They are the ribs tips at the end of the rack. Or they can also be from the skirt, on the top edge of a set of spare ribs.
    (You can see the different parts in the picture below.)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	st-louis-ribs-cut.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1303442

I love them too, but I usually cook them in a dutch oven and cook them down. Then the meat is made into carnitas for tacos. The bones add a great flavor into the braising sauce too.

When ever I am making ribs I trim these off and then vac seal them to be frozen for later. I use them mostly for my dutch oven meals during sauna season. It works great for those post sauna, salty meals.

You can also smoke them, and I often do that as well. They can be eaten as is, or they can go into the dutch oven like what I do.

Hoisinful Nine Dragon Chinese Ribs is the recipe I love to use if I am just smoking them.

Comment

I love them! When I trim a whole rack, instead of going St Louis I cut off the breast bone and leave the tips on the ends of the ribs. They’re more work to eat, but worth it.

Comment

• Rob whatever
        Rob whatever commented
        Editing a comment
        This is where I’ve ended up as well. While good on their own, I think they are much better attached to the ribs. I must be a Texan at heart.

Well, I was first introduced to them at Applebee's many years ago https://www.applebees.com/en/menu/st...riblet-platter

Some describe them as just a rack of ribs split down the middle to make smaller ribs; this is NOT what I describe them as...

What I describe them as... flat, kinda spoon shaped bones surrounded by tender juicy rib meat; usually there are some very small sharp cut pieces of bone included from cutting this "scrap" meat from the ribs - not to be served to young children. Since I like to pull meat from bones, and feel the best meat comes from next to bones, these please me. Some cartilage is included and edible.

This description sounds like it might be what I've been getting:
      "IMPS 400-FRESH PORK PRODUCTS 29 EFFECTIVE DATE: JUNE 1997
      IMPS Item No. 424 - Pork Loin, Riblet - This item is derived from the transverse processes and associated lean from the lumbar vertebrae of any IMPS bone in pork loin after removal of the tenderloin and the loin eye. Riblets shall; contain no less than 4 transverse processes (sometimes referred to as "paddle" or "finger" bones); be held intact by associated lean; and include no more than two rib bones. This item shall be trimmed practically free of surface fat."

I think this is much like the riblets I've been cooking... I bought mine at a Winco store, though not this brand...
      The Smithfield Prepackaged Riblets are all natural, contain no steroids or artificial ingredients. These extra-meaty pork back ribs have a wide variety of menu applications. This bulk pack of Smithfield Prepackaged Riblets is ideal for restaurants, diners, and hotels.

I should have presented a picture of the small pile of bones left after I cleaned them off... next time I will.
      ​

Comment

• Rob whatever
        Rob whatever commented
        Editing a comment
        Spoken like a man who’s skied smack into a tree. LOL.

Spinaker , thanks for the image and knowledge share. I was wondering, after reading Meathead 's book on ribs and your post, but not quite understanding: is there a joint (ligament, tendon) that separates that 'riblet' section for easy cutting? Pig anatomy is not my strong suit and I've only trimmed spares once, so I'm still learning the distribution of muscle, fat, bone, and connective tissues in various parts.

Comment

HotSun There is .....kind of. ( I know just what you wanted to hear) You can feel the gap between the bones and cartilage when you run your fingers over the meat, near the top. This is where the skirt starts and it runs horizontally. For the riblets at the end of the ribs, they run vertically. You can feel them as they do not run all the way down the rack. The other bones run all the way from the skirt trim line, on top, to the bottom of the rack.

Comment

• HotSun
          HotSun commented
          Editing a comment
          So, it's about the point where I start to cut off my finger (I can see my future).... I get it now. Seriously though, thanks, Spinaker , this will definitely help me when I pull that spare from the freezer and carve it up.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          You got it. Just try to leave your finger out of it. If you index the picture above and feel with your fingers, you should be able to find where to cut, very easily. Once you get the feel for it, you will see. HotSun

I use them as chef snacks or treat them like burnt ends when I trim spares

Comment

• HotSun
          HotSun commented
          Editing a comment
          klflowers , isn't that the beauty of being the cook, know which pieces are the best pieces and reserving a little for yourself for all your hard work?

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup once cut away they finish more quickly so I get to "sample" as I cook

Spinaker Are riblets the same thing as that Chicago delicacy, Rib Tips? Or are they two different things?

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          I think they are the same

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          They are the same. Like a lot of things in the food world, same thing, different name. Geography makes a difference.

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Same!

Mine go in beans.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Bean bath is a great spot for them.

• Dick Anderson
          Dick Anderson commented
          Editing a comment
          do you cook them first, or toss them in a pot of dry beans?

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          They go in post soak Dick Anderson

Great stuff folks! Keep 'em comin

Comment

This has been interesting!

Comment

Chuds BBQ prepared some mini ribs as appitizers.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
              Jfrosty27 commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s a great idea for appetizers. I bet the butcher a Costco would cut the racks down for you. Certainly a stand alone butcher would bt then the racks would probably cost twice as much. Hmmm. I’ll need to figure that out with the holidays coming up and all.

• bbq_esq
              bbq_esq commented
              Editing a comment
              I was looking for some finger food for upcoming party. I love this idea.

Im trying to think of how to make in advance for a party. I guess just wrap in foil and pop in warm oven as needed.

Here's what the NAMP has to say about riblets.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ribs.png
Views:	118
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	1303936 Click image for larger version

Name:	424.png
Views:	113
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	1303937 Click image for larger version

Name:	416.png
Views:	114
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	1303938

Comment

• treesmacker
              treesmacker commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep, 424 #5 - I'm convinced that's where my riblets come from.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here