Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

My virgin butt ... I mean shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Uncle Meat
    Former Member
    • Dec 2015
    • Columbia, MD

My virgin butt ... I mean shoulder

So, I wanted to smoke a pork butt and was going to follow Meathead's "Perfect Pulled Pork" instructions. But my girlfriend bought a pork shoulder (8 pounds) instead of a butt. Does it matter (as far as cooking techniques, times, or strategies)?
    Also - sorry, I have to admit - I watched a YouTube video on smoking a pork shoulder and the guy did everything the exact OPPOSITE of what Meathead says (basted it, sauced it, foiled it, blah blah blah) yet it looked phenomenal. Now, I'm confused. This is my first pork-smokin' attempt (although I've done ribs and turkeys) and I am going to follow Meathead's instructions but I'm just a little worried. Any comments/advice?
  • cdd315
    Founding Member
    • Jul 2014
    • Warman, Saskatchewan Canada
    • Curtis D

BGE Large
      45 gal Imp. UDS
      Weber 22.5" Silver - for the lake
      Weber 22.5" OTG - 2014
      Centro Natural Gas - on it's last legs

Couple Maverick ET-733's
      Thermapen
      ThermoPop
      BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Beer - Original 16
      Bourbon - Bulleit
      Rye - Gibsons Sterling

I may be wrong but I thought the butt was the shoulder! Do you mean a picnic shoulder or roast? Does it have skin on it? If it does that's the picnic. I'd treat it like a butt and follow the 'Perfect Pulled Pork' instructions. Kind of different meat but just as good in my opinion. Remove the skin and trim the fat. Hmm, I might have to pull one out of the freezer!!

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      Charter Member
      • Sep 2014
      • Central Iowa

Different names for the same cut. Traditionally it's the called the butt but for those who can't comprehend a pork "butt" coming from the front leg it's sometimes labeled "shoulder". Now, the technique you use is up to you... Lot's of ways to skin (cook) a pork "butt"... It's all good.

Comment

• Uncle Meat
        Former Member
        • Dec 2015
        • Columbia, MD

Thanks, you two. The label says "shoulder" so that's what I went with. I'll let you know how it turns out. ;-)

Comment

• ribeyeguy
          Charter Member
          • Jun 2015
          • S. E. Wisconsin
          • Weber Platinum Performer, 18"WSM, Smokenator, Slow 'n Sear.

The only advice I can give you is never, ever change your avatar.

Comment

• Uncle Meat
            Former Member
            • Dec 2015
            • Columbia, MD

LOL, thanks rib eye.

Comment

• David Parrish
              Founding Member - Pit Boss Emeritus
              • May 2014
              • Charlotte, NC

Crimsonkng a pork butt is a pork shoulder is a pork picnic is a pork butt... different terms for the same meat. There are many techniques out there for how to cook it, and many of those techniques result in good eating, but Meathead's is the best. Low and Slow at 225 F pit temp until the meat hits 203 F (unwrapped) is the way to go.

Comment

• Lost in China
              Charter Member
              • Mar 2015
              • Wenzhou, China
              • 22" Weber kettle
                Slow 'N Sear
                Hovergrill
                Maverick 732
                Thermopop

It's not about what's right or wrong, it's about what's best. Frankly, I've learned that you can do a lot of things to a piece of meat and it will still taste good. Especially a pork butt, it's just a big clod of meat and as long as you heat it up it will be delicious. Meathead's thing is that he's tried a lot of recipes and writes the best one, presented in a way that ordinary people can do. I've tried several of his recipes and been impressed, particularly the lamb and coleslaw. I followed his recipe to the T and came out with a really, really good product. That probably means the rest of the recipes on the site are the same. That being said, just because Meathead Goldwyn said to do it that way doesn't mean anything. Like I said, whatever you do it'll come out tasting good.

Comment

• David Parrish
                • May 2014
                • Charlotte, NC

Originally posted by Lost in China View Post
                ...That being said, just because Meathead Goldwyn said to do it that way doesn't mean anything. Like I said, whatever you do it'll come out tasting good.
                I agree there are several ways to make great pulled pork, but I've smoked pork shoulder several ways and done side by side comparisons of wrapped and unwrapped butts. Unwrapped is better.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                  Charter Member
                  • Nov 2014
                  • Winchester TN
                  • Hardware
                    Blackstone 36” Griddle.
                    Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado & Kettle Grill.
                    Slow 'N Sear (1.0, Deluxe, 2.0).
                    DnG Pans/Racks, Easy Spin Grates, Elevated Cooking Grates.
                    Weber Chimney Starters (regular and compact).
                    Joule, Instant Accu Slim.
                    GrillGrates.
                    Maverick XR-50 [my favorite].
                    ThermoWorks Smoke & Gateway, Thermapen, Thermapop, ChefAlarms, DOT, probes

Consumables / Favorites
                    KBB (short cooks), Weber (long cooks), B&B Hardwood Briquettes when I'm out of Weber.
                    Ribs (beef & pork), Pork Butts, Chuck Roasts, Pork Tenderloins, Shrimp, Fajitas.
                    SnS Grills salt free rubs: Not Just for Beef & Rocky’s Rub.
                    MeatChurch Holy Cow. MMD, BBBR, S&G, Herbs de Provence, SPG.

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post

I agree there are several ways to make great pulled pork, but I've smoked pork shoulder several ways and done side by side comparisons of wrapped and unwrapped butts. Unwrapped is better.
                  I have never wrapped butts when cooking on the Weber+SnS or the BGE. What does wrapping do that you don't prefer? Just curious - thanks!

Comment

• David Parrish
                    • May 2014
                    • Charlotte, NC

Originally posted by fuzzydaddy View Post

I have never wrapped butts when cooking on the Weber+SnS or the BGE. What does wrapping do that you don't prefer? Just curious - thanks!

FuzzyD you need to do a side by side comparison. This is something every Pitmaster should experience. The wrapped butt tastes watered down and mushy compared to the unwrapped butt. Now this is a 4.5 stars vs 5 star kinda deal. Both taste great, unwrapped is just a little better.

I often tell folks in The Pit who are having trouble cooking butts to wrap in order to get done in time. It's a compromise, but it will still be great and it's better to eat when it's time to eat!

Comment

• Uncle Meat
                      Former Member
                      • Dec 2015
                      • Columbia, MD

Thanks, everyone, for the comments. I'm following (or, at least, trying to follow) Meathead's recommendations. I'm four-and-a-half hours into the smokin'. I haven't looked at the po'k since Hour Two and - man - it looked fantastic even then. (And, holy moly, when I put the meat on the grill ... the smell of smoke and Memphis Dust was ... orgasmic.) However, it appears (at 4-1/2 hours) that I just hit The Stall (meat has remained at 160 for the past 30 minutes). I don't want to wrap it in foil so I'm just going to be patient, sit tight, and hope that The Stall breaks within, I guess, the next hour? Watch this space.

Comment

• gwschenk
                        Club Member
                        • Aug 2015
                        • Sierra Madre, Calif.
                        • Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5", Weber kettle 22", Thermoworks Thermopop and DOT

Patience, grasshopper. Don't worry about the stall. The stall is a good thing, it means your butt is rendering. The main thing is to stay cool and calm.

As some musician once said: "I think it's really tragic when people get serious about stuff. It's such an absurdity to take anything really seriously …"

Comment

• Uncle Meat
                          Former Member
                          • Dec 2015
                          • Columbia, MD

Thanks, GW. Patience, it is. Nice quote from FZ. I was actually thinking that I should change my avatar name to "Uncle Meat." More appropriate.

Comment

• Uncle Meat
                            Former Member
                            • Dec 2015
                            • Columbia, MD

Hey, all. I figured I'd give a post-smokin' summary. I can't believe that the smokin' took 11-1/2 hours (for an 8-pound shoulder roast). I never expected that. And I never expected the FOUR-AND-A-HALF-HOUR STALL. Holy moly! And after the stall, it took another three hours or so to bring the meat up to 196.
                            The meat itself was delicious. An absolutely beautiful bark and moist, tender meat inside. My only comment is that the inside meat was kind of tasteless. But, when shredded and mixed with the bark and then some BBQ sauce poured on the potato roll, it was a beautiful thing. Really nice sandwich. Can't wait to eat it, again, tomorrow.
                            Thanks for all the comments!

Comment

• scottranda
                              scottranda commented
                              Editing a comment
                              You can cut the butt in two 4 lbs pieces for more tasty bark. It will also reduce your smoking time.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
                          Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
                          See more
                          See less
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Meat-Up in Memphis

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear
                          The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill
                          The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                          The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                          The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen
                          The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker
                          We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
                          Stylish and Affordable
                          Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill
                          Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
                          A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill
                          Webers� Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates
                          GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill
                          The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker
                          This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175? to 350?F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer
                          A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker
                          FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill
                          Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill
                          Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order