Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My virgin butt ... I mean shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ribeyeguy
    replied
    The only advice I can give you is never, ever change your avatar.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Meat
    replied
    Thanks, you two. The label says "shoulder" so that's what I went with. I'll let you know how it turns out. ;-)

Leave a comment:

• HorseDoctor
    replied
    Different names for the same cut. Traditionally it's the called the butt but for those who can't comprehend a pork "butt" coming from the front leg it's sometimes labeled "shoulder". Now, the technique you use is up to you... Lot's of ways to skin (cook) a pork "butt"... It's all good.

Leave a comment:

• cdd315
    replied
    I may be wrong but I thought the butt was the shoulder! Do you mean a picnic shoulder or roast? Does it have skin on it? If it does that's the picnic. I'd treat it like a butt and follow the 'Perfect Pulled Pork' instructions. Kind of different meat but just as good in my opinion. Remove the skin and trim the fat. Hmm, I might have to pull one out of the freezer!!

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Meat
    started a topic My virgin butt ... I mean shoulder

My virgin butt ... I mean shoulder

So, I wanted to smoke a pork butt and was going to follow Meathead's "Perfect Pulled Pork" instructions. But my girlfriend bought a pork shoulder (8 pounds) instead of a butt. Does it matter (as far as cooking techniques, times, or strategies)?
    Also - sorry, I have to admit - I watched a YouTube video on smoking a pork shoulder and the guy did everything the exact OPPOSITE of what Meathead says (basted it, sauced it, foiled it, blah blah blah) yet it looked phenomenal. Now, I'm confused. This is my first pork-smokin' attempt (although I've done ribs and turkeys) and I am going to follow Meathead's instructions but I'm just a little worried. Any comments/advice?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here