Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A pork & veggie-heavy cook today - Fireboard link inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A pork & veggie-heavy cook today - Fireboard link inside

Today is the last day for my family members visiting from the Caribbean. I made some St. Louis ribs the other day that truly shamed me, they were terrible. Everyone else says otherwise, but I mean, they were terrible.

So I gotta redeem myself before they leave!

Tonight's menu includes 2 racks of babybacks seasoned with MMD+ (my adjustments make the +), a 5lb pork loin cut in half, with half done with MMD+ and half with Blackstone's Tequila Lime seasoning. The ribs will go on in a few minutes, the pork loin this evening when I get off work - intentions to smoke to about 140, then sear hot and fast over charcoal.

Other items will include charcoal grilled corn, some asparagus marinated in Italian dressing and S&P, then grilled in a veggie pan, as well as a foil packet of veggies done on the grill - yellow squash, zucchini, baby portabellas and red onion, all heavily seasoned with garlic, S&P, some Tony Chachere's cajun seasoning and Italian dressing. And garlic bread.

Should be a feast.

Here's what I have right now:

Those ribs will be going on in about 30 minutes. Then I'll head to work for a few hours and have The Boy add wood chunks and spritz as necessary for the nonce, return around 3h later and throw on the pork loin and start firing up the charcoal for the veggies, etc.

Stay tuned for more updates, and now that I've figured out how to add photos and notes to my Fireboard cook (4 years into ownership), it should be a little more interesting to follow.

Weather's nice, today, too! No more 104ºF for little while! it's 84ºF out there right now!

Gonna go turn the Camp Chef down a smidge, I don't want my ribs cooking too fast.

I wanted to smoke a pork loin today too,
    my wife wanted it done in the crock pot.
    😶😐😑😬
    Guess who won😪

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      Combo? Smoke, then braise??? Dang, sorry. Life is better with smoke!!

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ouch. Of course I know who won. Bummer for you. Oh well. As the saying goes, happy wife……

I don't often update my cooks late in the game, as I'm busy preparing sides at the last, then getting the meat off and finally eating, burping, and passing out!

So here's how yesterday's cook ended up:

The two halves of a pork loin. Left is MMD+ and the right is the Blackstone Tequila Lime seasoning.

Honestly, the Tequila Lime was ok, but I preferred the MMD+. I think the Blackstone seasoning will probably be good for some things, I saw it used on one of their videos for quick fajitas on the griddle (with prepackaged sliced chicken breast), maybe that would work. It wasn't bad at all, just I preferred the MMD+.

After a quick sear of each over blazing charcoal:

How the ribs came out:

Definitely noticing better smoke flavor on EVERYTHING with this Camp Chef than with my Yoder pellet smoker, but it is a little more work and is a little more difficult to do certain things - gotta pull the shelves out to get to meat in the back to spritz it, etc. Overall, worth the extra effort, but it is notable.

The full on table shot, not the best quality, I wasn't paying too much attention and was in a hurry to get to eating!

Gimme some ideas for leftover rib meat and loin meat... lol

Comment

• Allon
      Allon commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, nicely done. Quite the feast! Well done.

That spread looks good! nice cooking

Comment

What a spread! Yum, yum, yum. Nice work Pitmaster!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here