Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From the depths of the freezer…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the depths of the freezer…

Uh oh. Found a freezer bag of baby backs, and a Whole Foods label that suggests these may be from 2018.

cook or toss? Any warning signs to consider?

we have vacsealed spares from June defrosting too, so the freezer forage will not be a total loss

I think they could be fine if you keep your deep freeze cold as Mars. . . Play on through, only one way to find out. If visual inspection reveals anything questionable you can always trim. 🔥🔥🔥❤️🐿

Comment

It's pretty much a qualitative game with frozen stuff. As MsTwiggy alluded to, ya might need to do some trimming.

Comment

+1 to both responses

Comment

I've seen several sources for vacuum sealing that say raw meat can last 5+ years in the freezer. I'm sure they are fine, go by small and thawed appearance. Trim as needed. I recently used a fully smoked brisket that was 8 years in the freezer, it was fine.

Comment

I sure would like to hear from more members. I have a tendency to chuck after a year or more which I hate to do. I have a friend who will keep fish, poultry and beef for several years. I kinda go by FDA guidelines for fear of food poisoning and getting sick. All my meat frozen is in foodsaver bags or original packaging such as hot dogs, tenderloin or anything else vacuumed sealed.

Comment

These were not vacsealed, hence some concern

Comment

• MsTwiggy
                MsTwiggy commented
                Editing a comment
                I bought half a cow and it took a long time to eat it - several years. I was a new mom and not cooking outside much. All that meat was wrapped in a single piece of plastic surrounded by a single piece of white butcher paper and taped shut. And it was fantastic years later when i started grilling in earnest again. The temperature the freezer is set at has the greatest effect on longevity. Freezer burn is driven by fluctuations in temperature. From placing items less cold near frozen solid items.

If not vacsealed, I think your chances of freezerburn are exponentially higher, unless you package them like they're going into outer space - and for that much trouble, why wouldn't you have vacsealed?

I personally just tossed some that were vacsealed but I think had lost seal, as there was a bunch of ice crystals inside the packaging and I didn't want to waste an afternoon smoking them to find out at dinnertime that they were all freezerburned and yuck.

Safe? Likely...

Appetizing? Iffy....

My $0.02

Comment

Doesn't hurt to thaw them and see if they are badly freezer burned. If so you can chuck it at that point but at least you checked.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here