Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Butt Temperature Pull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Butt Temperature Pull

I’m sure this has been covered a million times, but what temperature do you let your pork butt get to before pulling it? During the rest period is it still cooking?

I pull mine at 202-203° and put in the faux cambro for 1-4 hours. If temp probe is in the faux cambro, I believe it reduces temp over time

Comment

• Alan Brice
      Alan Brice commented
      Editing a comment
      Did not see this before my comment. Alan

I would do low n slow to 200 + or - . If you wrap n put it in faux Cambro you will get a bit of temp raise. Depends on the thickness of what ever you are cooking.

Comment

I am of the opinion, after a pork butt reaches 195-200*F it is time to checked for doneness. Done at probe tender, like soft butter. Time to take it off the grill. I open the wrap up and let the butt "breath" for a few minutes. Then I close the wrap and cover in towels and place in an ice chest. I have been known to burp the ice chest a couple of time to release any steam.
      BTW most butts are good to go between 205-210*F.

Comment

Thank you everyone. I pulled it at 201 degrees and put in cooler.

Comment

I used to pull at 195F, now I set my alarm for 203F, and that is when I pull most butts. Usually I find several areas that are still little tough when probed until I get up to the 202 to 205 range.

Since it will continue cooking while resting in the cooler, you should be good having pulled it at 201. If while pulling the pork you find any tough chunks, just get out a knife and chop those bits up.

Comment

Just depends....I've started removing the money muscle at 190ish so it will slice nice and then keep checking the tenderness on the remaining meat about every 5 degrees until it gets where I want it. I've pulled at 195 all the way up to close to 210..depends on the meat and fat content....at least that's been my experience.

Comment

• DaveD
              DaveD commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting... sounds like it could be messy though, I'd be leery to cut into a butt at that temp, it could start coming apart in places you don't want it to. How do you go about that removal?

• Dadof3Illinois
              Dadof3Illinois commented
              Editing a comment
              DaveD I'll be very aggressive with my trimming around that muscle so it's maybe 80% exposed already. When I feel it's at the temp I like I can just reach in and pull it straight off....actually pretty easy.

I’ve never had a butt probe tender under 203°F, so I don’t start checking until north of 200. Once done: wrap, hold, pull, serve!

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
              DogFaced PonySoldier commented
              Editing a comment
              So you don't wrap until you pull it? I usually haven't ever wrapped my butts, but I usually don't rest them, either. I'm thinking about doing both this weekend, prolly do a pair on Sat or Sun.

• Santamarina
              Santamarina commented
              Editing a comment
              I don’t wrap during the cook. I want it coming out of the pit looking like a meteorite. I used to pull right away, but found them more tender after 30-60mins of holding. So I wrap for the hold. I’ve also held them for up to 12 hours in a warm oven with no significant difference.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here