Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking ham for lunch meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking ham for lunch meat

Hey everyone! I recently raised some pigs and have some bone in hams in the freezer id like to turn in to lunch meat and slice them up with a deli slicer. Has anyone here done this? Id be interested in getting a recipe or something to get me pointed in the right direction.

Thanks!

Just wondering, are they cured?

Comment

• Cnatter
      Cnatter commented
      Editing a comment
      I don’t think so. I’m not home at the moment so i can’t check. How would I know? I’m assuming it would say on the label?

This is just my observation, and I’m sure others will see it differently, but any cooking of a non cured ham will yield roast pork which will have a short shelf life. To slice and keep it for longer periods you might want to consider curing it first. I’m sure there are faster methods than what we do here, but when we cure our annual ham we stick closely to a method very similar to this one from Virginia Tech: https://www.pubs.ext.vt.edu/content/...58-223_pdf.pdf

Comment

Sister and granddaughter of hog farmers here --

If you're raising your own pork and taking your hogs to a local butcher do the kill and butchering for you, it's normal practice here in Iowa to tell the butcher exactly what you want them to do with the meat.

If the hams are to be cured, the customer has to say they should be cured. Ditto for bacon. Otherwise the customer will get fresh pork roasts and pork belly, not ham and bacon. That also goes for the loins if you want one or both cured into Canadian bacon.

Another thing is a bone-in ham isn't ideal for cutting on a deli meat slicer. You can de-bone a bone-in ham and then slice up the larger chunks, but you won't end up with those uniform slices that most people expect in deli-sliced ham. That might be a non-issue for you, but I thought I'd mention it.

Comment

• Cnatter
        Cnatter commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the insight. It sounds like the ham I have in my fridge is probably best used as a roast or possibly pulled pork. Thanks for the advice!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here