Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unidentified Food Object - Identification Assistance needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unidentified Food Object - Identification Assistance needed

Folks, please help a guy out. I brought home several racks of St. Louis cut ribs and one of them has something I've never seen before (or maybe just never noticed). They are tubular strips of, tendon maybe? They are running over top of the rib bones and cut pretty easily. I didn't want to remove them all and leave some deep ravines there, but maybe I should. Thoughts? I snapped a cross-section of one for your further analysis.

Thanks for the help!

Attached Files

It might be even more helpful to also see the bone side.

Comment

• Mister C
      Mister C commented
      Editing a comment
      As I recall (it's been a few hours since I cleaned it), these are running on top of the bones, so you can't see them from the other side at all. Just looked like a normal slab o' ribs.

What were you thinking to find?

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      Mister C, if we could see where the actual bones are located across the width of the slabs, that would be a clue.

Yeah those sound like rib tips

Comment

Originally posted by texastweeter View Post
      Yeah those sound like rib tips

Hm, that just sounds like extra food to a layperson such as myself. Are those soft bones? Seemed strange that they looked disconnected from the main rib bone.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Were they on the sternum end? If not then they could be feather bones

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        Feather bones? Are you saying pigs can fly?!?

• Mister C
        Mister C commented
        Editing a comment
        Well played, @DaveD.

As a typical fool would, I consulted the anatomical chart, then remembered that my wife is a vet. Thankfully she is eating said ribs, so I avoided a slap upside the head. 😂 She agreed with the direction you were headed, @texastweeter: likely part of the sternum. "Cartilageounous" is the way she described it, which makes sense given how it felt under the knife.

Gracias, amigos!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here