Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wild hog..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild hog..

Ham hocks. A neighbor came up to me tonight and asked if I could help cook ham hocks off the wild hogs he has harvested. I can only imagine slow, I can get some ideas on seasoning. But I have no experience with wild hog. Low and slow, right?

texastweeter can definitely give you some advice.

Comment

Ham hocks are killer in beans. Need to simmer with the beans at least 2 hours, minimum. The meat underneath the fat is life changing. Never done wild, just store bought.
      Last edited by Panhead John; June 24, 2022, 08:13 PM.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Ham hocks are cured, (at least around here they are ). I don't think Richard's neighbor shot a cured hog, but I bet it's still good.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        What! You mean they aren’t cured in the wild? 🤓

Exciting! Can't wait to see what you decide to do with them 🔥🔥🔥🐿

Comment

It's still pig meat, it's just a good idea to hit 160 on the wild stuff. You'll easily get there tenderizing them things.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing what you do with these and how they turn out

Comment

Hocks or hams? The hocks are the little nubbs said off the tip. If hams, I like to cure them into city hams, just be careful, the fat can be gamey sometimes. You can also grind and make sausage, just use brisket trimmings for fat. Or you can cook like a pork butt. I like to inject first, and be sure to crutch it with foil to retain juice after bark is set. Always bring wild hog up to at least 160. Some people say you can freeze it for at least 3 mo ths to kill trichanosis, but that is only certain stains of the parasite...be safe, go to 160.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here