Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to cook this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to cook this

How would you cook this and have leftovers that are suitable for reheating?

Looking for something a little more involved than just a sausage sammich.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220528_001218.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	1227553

It would be fantastic with eggs in a corn tortilla, as a pizza topping, in a vegetable or pasta casserole, with mac and cheese, or made into a stuffing for zucchini or butternut squash. You could put it in a stir fry or simmer with tomato sauce to mop up with bread. You could broil it and serve as a side to scalloped potatoes, chowder or a pile of slaw.
    Someone stop me, im getting hungry. . .

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      All legit suggestions and you made me hungry too.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      You scramble the eggs and cook together?? Do you precook before putting on the pizza? Thanks!

• MsTwiggy
      MsTwiggy commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod Broussard for eggs I would squeeze an amount into a skillet and sauté for a little bit before adding the eggs. You can cook the 'rizo w/onions etc. For a pizza i would precook and crumble as topping.
      I once went to a place that did a deep dish style pizza w/'rizo that used cornmeal
      In the crust - it was unforgettable. It's not a structured sausage, it may be more like a paste when you squeeze it out of the casing. But it depends on the brand. Good luck, post pics!!!!!

I would definitely cook the sausage beforehand. I've eaten a ton of chorizo, really good flavor, but due to thickness you have two options:

1. Place in the middle of the oven at 175° C / 350° F for 15-20 minutes, then give them a quick sear in the frying pan.
    2. Cook over low direct heat (think Santa Maria style) until they're done.

The trick is to heat them up gently, so they're cooked through and through, without being either dried out, or charred on the surface and tepid in the middle.

As MsTwiggy says they go great with eggs. Or on pizza, as they have good flavor, with a bit of kick to it.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      As for the pizza version: if you cut thin slices (no more than a no. 5 pencil thick) you can place it directly on the pizza and put the pizza in the oven. No need to precook.

You could remove from the casing and make taco's. Just some onion and cilantro with corn tortilla's. We eat often and they are great.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      I plan to remove one link from the casing

Caldo Verde Soup is what I'd do: https://www.seriouseats.com/caldo-ve...le-soup-recipe

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      You can use Collards

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      I have made this and it was very good! Made with Spanish style chorizo

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      Collards are even worse.

Chorizo is awesome in chilaquiles as well, although we typically use bulk sausage meat for that. But my lovely bride has made do with "cased" sausages before...

Comment

If those are the "Spanish" style (solid as opposed to the more crumbly Mexican style, which is what they look like) my first thought is always Paella. Probably not what you are looking for, but that is usually the reason I buy that kind of Chorizo.

Comment

Most Mexican style chorizo I have seen comes in a plastic type casing that must be removed. It is very soft at that point, great for pan sautéing or cooking in with many things.

Comment

If it is good Chorizo, I hope you are well stocked on TP.

Comment

Tacos, baby, tacos. Sauté with a pound and a half or so of ground beef, a diced onion, and some diced poblanos, then simmer over low heat for an hour or so. You can even toss in some cubed potatoes during the simmer if you want. Make your tacos, baby, tacos in your usual fashion and then I triple-dog dare you to not to eat them until you're stuffed and then have one more. These are my Achilles Heel of overeating.

Oh, and Clark gives some excellent advice to be followed.
            Last edited by CaptainMike; May 28, 2022, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Sweet potato, chorizo, and walnut hash

Comment

If it’s the Mexican variety it does wonders for a pot of pinto beans.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here