Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

soy-sauce-"dry-brine"-for-spares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soy sauce "dry brine" for spares?

Just thinking out loud…but might this work as a prep technique for Asian style ribs? Thoughts?

I like the idea. Those are gonna be good. I would opt for Teriyaki, myself, but I think both would work fine. Maybe glaze with the teriyaki reduction or thick sauce in the last 20 mins of the cook.

Comment

Teriyaki is mostly soy sauce anyway, so Huskee is correct - it should work and have a more complex flavor.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        RonB I know, you seen one mod you’ve seen em all.

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Panhead John Leave it to you to keep things straight.
        How do you know they are not one and the same?

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I am thrilled that I am correct even when I don't state an answer or opinion! I must tell my wife the news....

That is more of a marinade or wet brine, but it sounds good to me! Anxiously awaiting your results...

Comment

• Texas Larry
        Texas Larry commented
        Editing a comment
        CaptainMike I envision just brushing it on generously, not a soak, but point well taken.

Not sure about just how "dry" Soy (or Teriyaki) sauce would be. That said, I've used Teriyaki as the brine/marinade many times when making beef jerky ... always with great results. I'd say, have at it!

FWIW, Huskee is the one with too many "E's" in his name ... while Spinaker is the one with too few "N's". Easy!
      Last edited by MBMorgan; June 6, 2022, 01:47 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        yeah, you could say I screwed that up when I signed up. LOL

I agree, they should be great. Maybe a light glaze with a reduced mixture of teriyaki, pineapple juice, and apple cider vinegar. I’ve been experimenting with pomegranate syrup in my Asian glazes, I haven’t gotten it just right yet.
      Last edited by Oak Smoke; May 23, 2022, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Oh man, I just got the idea to do teriyaki pork belly and found this recipe:

Sweet and smoky come together for these Teriyaki Pork Belly Burnt Ends. Cube them up or serve them on wooden skewers, either way, they won't last long.

I've got a pork belly I've been waiting to find a use for. I think I found it.

Comment

Beware doing this for too long. Yes it works, but if you do a 24 hour soy (or teriyaki) marinade that flavor overwhelms the beef flavor.

Comment

• Texas Larry
            Texas Larry commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m thinking just a few hours, 3 or 4 maybe. Still tinkering with the idea, but lots of good input here.

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            3-4 would be fine. I think even about 8 would work. But 24 or so and the soy/teriyaki flavors start to dominate.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            This. Ruined some "stew beef" from Click. The first set was great, the second set, inedibly salty after marinade in Bachan’s.

another way to do soy sauce as a dry brine would be to source some soy sauce powder and use that...

Soy sauce powder is dehydrated soy sauce that can have other spices added to it. Most versions consist primarily of liquid soy sauce that has been sprayed onto maltodextrin, a powder that can be made

https://www.amazon.com/powder-soy-sa...wder+soy+sauce

Okay. Yeah. We know. Soy sauce powder. Whaaaaaat? So to begin, soy sauce is made from fermented paste composed of mashed soy beans, roasted wheat, brine, and Aspergillus mold. The paste is then squeezed and the liquid is what we know as soy sauce, which is then pasteurized and bottled. Dehydrated soy sauce is that liquid boiled down until only solids remain. These solids are then lightly toasted and milled into a fine, sand-colored powder. Liquid soy sauce can be made with this powder by mixing one-part dehydrated soy sauce powder to one and a half parts water. Makes it easy for when you want to take soy sauce with you on a vacation or camping trip, but don’t want to carry a heavy bottle of liquid. Other uses include adding to dry meat rubs and mixtures or homemade pasta dough.

Last edited by rickgregory; May 23, 2022, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Wet is wet. So it is a marinade. The salt in the soy will penetrate the meat, a wet brine action from the marinade.
            rickgregory is right about the length of time & beef aspect.

Comment

• Texas Larry
              Texas Larry commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, marinades in my mind (warped as it maybe) include an acid. This would not, and I’m not thinking to use a lot or the soy/teriyaki whatever. I’m focusing on the salt content.
              Last edited by Texas Larry; May 23, 2022, 01:35 PM.

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              By sodium content, it is low.

I have used soy sauce as a wet brine. Salt is salt, right?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here