Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to freeze smoked pork butt (whole or pulled)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I pull and put a lb. or two in a zip lock freezer bag with a few tablespoons of liquid from the hold. Seems to work quite well.

Comment

• captainlee
      captainlee commented
      Editing a comment
      We add some broth too, re heats perfectly.

Pulled, preferably in vacuum seal bags - it will compress a lot, and you need to fluff it back up when reheating.

You won't ever be able to pull pork that has been cooled down to fridge or freezer temps, without taking it back up to 160 or so. All the fat that rendered and is pretty much liquid when you pull it hot off the smoker (or within a couple of hours) congeals into a bunch of white fat again.

I frequently smoke more butts than I need, and break it down into 1 pound portions of pulled pork in vacuum sealer bags and freeze it for future use.
    Last edited by jfmorris; May 16, 2022, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here