Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs that say bite me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LA Pork Butt View Post
    Whenever I have done them they came out overcooked. It a great way to have boneless ribs.
    Im actually okay with fall-off-the-bone ribs. They’re better than burned ribs, they’re better than dried ribs, and they’re better than underdone ribs. IMO they’re a legitimate preference. When I’m making ribs, I consider both fotb and a little bit of tug to both be successes.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with you.

Is the 205, final temperature, where the meat bites clean off the bone or is it fall off da bone?

Thanks!

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      205 is usually in fall off territory. Somewhere between 190 and 200 is my preference but things can start falling apart after 190... thus the bend test. I usually pull no wrap ribs around 195-200. Wrapped ribs much much sooner

Prefer the "Pull"

Comment

3-2-1 is way too much for ribs.

ust pull them when they hit about 195 internal and be done with it. I never got the point of smoking ribs, then adding fake butter, honey, sugar and apple juice to steam them in foil. In my opinion, and especially for beginners, this is a great way to get mushy ribs. Some people like braised ribs. Honestly, you might as well save fuel; smoke for an hour, then put them in a roasting pan in the oven. You are not soaking up any smoke once they are in the foil and braising.

You can get tender, moist ribs by cooking them naked on the pit and not letting them over cook. I think this method way over complicates an otherwise easy cook.

Check out this article that Meathead wrote on the subject.

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        321 ribs is a guide. Please notice verifying internal temp of the ribs.
        The time is not case I stone.
        I

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I find that cooking by time is the number 1 way people over cook meats. Temp not, time is key. That being said, even if you watch the internal temp while braising. You are still braising. Resulting in mushy ribs most of the time.

LW likes 3-2-1, I like 6, so I cook both! 🍻

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here