Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My rematch with "baby" back ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck today, those look a lot more like ribs. Though looking at your prep picks, you might want to consider picking up these. I use them as prep pans, dry brine pans with the racks, and cook bacon on them with the racks.

Comment

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, those pyrex pans aren't quite long enough for the typical rack of ribs. I don't mind bending them though, and to be honest storage space for more stuff in the kitchen is already way oversubscribed...! Good to keep in mind though in case something changes.

The cutting of ribs has been MBA’d to ruination on both ends of the pig. The back ribs are next to the loin, which, due to the leanness of modern commercial pork, is difficult for lots of people to cook properly. So, they leave a lot on the baby backs, and create monster back ribs, that are hard to cook properly. Easy to sell baby back ribs at a price better than pork loin.

at the bottom end of the pig, pork belly sits on top of the spare ribs. Due to the massive popularity of bacon, plus the newly rediscovered love of pork belly, they cut spares pretty tight, because anything they leave on the top of the spares could be sold at a better price as pork belly.

f’ing MBAs. (Note: MBA WashU 2005 here)

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Donw that would be telling, but yeah.

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      Potkettleblack Great school! 2 graduates (Law & Astrophysics), and one rising senior in the Mathematics department, from several generations of our family.

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      WashU is very highly respected indeed. They have a longstanding, world-class planetary science group there. One of my best buds is in that bunch

Two hours in and all is well. Here are the ribs when they went on, and then 90 minutes later. ITs ranging from 155-170F/68-77C, and the very beginnings of some pullback...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220508_123755.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	1218383

Name:	20220508_141641.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	1218384

Comment

glitchy Damn you!

Name:	97820EDF-FDFC-4881-B763-81002ACF137F.png
Views:	131
Size:	612.3 KB
ID:	1218406

Comment

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        PJ They’re great and fit well in the dishwasher.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the recommendation. I’ve been meaning to get something like this but keep forgetting. Many times I’ll be prepping something on my cheap undersized plastic trays and wish I’d had these. And you’re right, perfect for dry brining.

• Davek8282
        Davek8282 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have two of these but in aluminium instead of steel, I also have 4 of the 1/4 sheet pans that I use even more as they are handy running out to the BBQ and back with ingredients.

In the home stretch now. More action shots! T + 2.5, 3.5, and 4 hrs in, by which time the T range across the rack narrowed to just a few degrees and is just shy of 190F/88C. Probe tenderness increasing quite noticeably. Another hour or so I reckon...

Name:	20220508_150409.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	1218446

Name:	20220508_161027.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	1218445

Name:	20220508_163930.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	1218444

Sides with this meal will be corn on the cob and some steamed broccoli.

Comment

I’m late to the discussion about loin meat on baby backs, but I agree 100%. I LOVE Costco, but my last batch of baby backs from them was my last until they change how they butcher them. 3/4" of dry loin meat on top of the bones gives you mediocre, expensive ribs.

Comment

Last quick update before we serve: rack was very bendy just now with ITs in the mid-high 190sF/90-92C After-action will be next.

Comment

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            We want during action! Livestream dinner!!!

• DaveD
            DaveD commented
            Editing a comment
            I need the "aaaaaaaaauuuuuuughhh!" emoji...!

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            Uh oh...

Last edited by rickgregory; May 8, 2022, 05:04 PM.

OK, I am declaring unquestioned conquest in my rematch vs. baby back ribs. It is the epic, timeless story of the young hero, slapped down in the first encounter with the nemesis, learning the lessons and coming back to vanquish in the nick of time, when least expected. The victory is total.

Once temps got above the mid-190sF/low-90sC, I started poking it with the insta-read every 20 min or so but didn't bother turning it on, going solely on tenderness. Pulled it when it felt right, and dang, these were stupendously good. My lovely bride said "I know I've said this before, but this is the best thing you've made yet!" Juicy, tender, exactly the right tug-off-the-bone consistency I was after. And without question, this was the properly cut set of baby backs - air quotes can now be removed.

Lessee if this little .gif of the time lapse will work...

Name:	Rib lapse.gif
Views:	497
Size:	802.1 KB
ID:	1218517

And the plating:

Name:	20220508_175733.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	1218513

Name:	20220508_175832.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	1218518

Name:	20220508_180717.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	1218515

Name:	20220508_180726.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	1218516

Name:	20220508_180934.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	1218514

Next steps: I have another rack of "extra meaty [pork] back ribs" in the chestie, so I will try this same procedure on those, i.e. monitor for tenderness every 15-20 min after ~3 hours and ITs in the mid-180sF/mid-80sC. Pull when done, short rest, cut and serve. Hopefully it'll work again. But it is clear what a lot of folks said, that these need TLC and the window of "just right" is a lot narrower than with spares. I made the corn in the microwave, so it could sit and hold for a while, and the broccoli in the steamer, so it was easy to accommodate. Not all sides would be as easy to line up.

The hands-off nature of the vertical pellet smoker didn't hurt, either... no problem having hands free to do all that poking at the meat...

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Great job!

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Congrats. You got rib perfection and wife-approved all in one cook.

Kathryn

• Starsky
            Starsky commented
            Editing a comment
            Daaaaaang!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here