Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutting pork butts into smaller pieces: pros & cons???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
    I do this every time, have for years. I never cook a full 6-12lb butt, ever. Mine are usually cut in thirds though, not just half. I've done as small as 3.5lbers and they turn out mighty fine, still juicy, but I wrap mine after the stall I don't cook 'em all the way unwrapped. Flavor is compounded for the exact reasons you mention. Don't expect a big time savings unless your dimensions are such that the distance to center is reduced a good bit.
    Thanks Huskee!
    I see you allow 12 hours from pit to plate. Sounds like a safe time window.
    Are you willing to please share the temp you smoke at and what cooker you're using?
    Thanks in advance!
    JD

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      My temp is usually favoring the 240-250 range. This in any cooker I've used- from stickburner to pellet cooker to kettle+SnS to the two Masterbuilt Digitals (Gravity and Charcoal Cabinet). If it's an important dinner or a timed thing ("we need to eat at 6 sharp") then I will allow 13-14hrs since anything being pulled can sit there longer if it's done earlier and it only helps things. Once in a while I will get a stubborn butt or chuck that just won't get up there as quick as most others.

Safe to cut it smaller, just be sure to not trim too much fat or it will dry out. The smaller the hunks the more likely we are to trim away needed fat. This is why I prefer bone-in butts…more room for error.

Totally doable if you’re careful with trimming!

Comment

Originally posted by Santamarina View Post
      Safe to cut it smaller, just be sure to not trim too much fat or it will dry out. The smaller the hunks the more likely we are to trim away needed fat. This is why I prefer bone-in butts…more room for error.

Totally doable if you’re careful with trimming!
      Thanks Santamatina,
      I totally needed to hear that. I have serous OCD tendencies & I’d def trim too much fat.
      Appreciate that tip!
      Best regards!
      JD

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        For what it's worth, I stab & jab and pull out fat from mine in addition to removing the cap. There's still a lot of internal fat in a butt. Unless you have a heritage breed of pork, they can be leaner. Commodity pork (like Smithfield or Swift) you're ok going to town on the fat trimming. I always have been.

What an interesting idea. I have a nine pounder I am going to smoke soon and will be cutting it in half now to try it.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Better end product, promise!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here