Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reheating ribs in sous vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reheating ribs in sous vide

I have some baby backs in freezer that are already cooked. I want to reheat them and figured if I did in sous vide, it will help keep them moist and not get too dried out. How long should I and for what temp? Or is there a better way to reheat?

I have been doing this to reheat all my smoked leftovers, it is the absolute bomb! Just set it to whatever serving temp you prefer and give it a couple-few hours to heat up. Just as with cooking in the SV, I don't think there is much risk of leaving it at target temp for a while if need be.

I've done sliced meats and ribs this way - really, only pulled pork hasn't had this treatment because it ends up in different leftover uses. It comes out allllllllmost as good as when it was fresh cooked. My total go-to now for reheating leftover meats. Have fun!

Edit: One thing you will probably need to do is weigh down your SV bag, because all of the water originally in the meat is gone, so it'll want to float in the SV bath. I usually toss a couple of [clean] butter knives in there and that does the trick.
    Last edited by DaveD; April 26, 2022, 05:28 AM.

Comment

IMO, sous vide is the best tool for reheating BBQ. After they are reheated, I also like to brush lightly with BBQ sauce and finish under the broiler for around 2 minutes to re-set the bark

As far as time/temp - you are just reheating to your preferred serving temp. I find 135-140 is pretty good temp for eating but you can go a bit hotter if you want. From frozen, I would estimate you need around 45 minutes or an hour. Maybe a tiny bit longer if they are the extra thick baby backs. If you defrost in the fridge overnight, likely don't need more than 30 minutes or so. Also, these times are the minimum, but they can hang out in the bath longer if needed

Comment

I think that sous vide would be a great way to reheat those from frozen without overcooking. I would just set the sous vide at 140F, and plan on an hour or more to get them reheated all the way through from frozen, depending on how many ribs you are dumping in the hot tub time machine...

Comment

Edit: never mind, I missed the frozen part. Reading comprehension fail.
          Last edited by Mosca; April 26, 2022, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Sous vide is indeed ideal for preventing overcooking while reheating. Just remember that it is an extractive process (the reason there is liquid in the bag after SV) so you run the risk of drying out an otherwise moist protein. SV reheating can also be REALLY hard on crispy skin for the same reason.

Comment

• tamidw
              tamidw commented
              Editing a comment
              Good reminder, thanks!

Thanks all, I will give them a try today. Since I remembered last night on my way to the bed, I did go grab them out of the freezer and tossed them in the fridge. So I will be working with thawed ribs.

Comment

I'm about to do this today - great thread!

I have one additional question to add on... I pulled the ribs a little sooner than they needed to meet dinner time constraints, and while they tasted good I would've preferred a little more tenderness. If I'm reheating via sous vide anyway, can I also use it to tenderize further than the original cook without drying out? If so, would I be better off by just going longer at the reheat temp (say 165F), or would it be better to sous vide at a higher temp instead?

Comment

• mrichie1229
                mrichie1229 commented
                Editing a comment
                If additional cooking time is needed, I wrap my ribs in foil with some apple juice and the bake them in the oven until they are as tender as you want. Then broil them with a touch of sauce for bark.

The Sous Vide will only bring the temperature of the meat up to the water temperature, so that is why I use the oven in this instance.

Low and slow is the way to go.
              If I may suggest, sous vide in a plastic bag to allow access to check for tenderness.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here