Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trial Run with hindquarter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trial Run with hindquarter

setting up for my first smoke. Wild hog hind quarter, bout 10 lbs. (not the best thing to learn on but...). How long would you let rub sit on roast before smoking and about how long would you expect it to take. Using overunder smoker with charcoal and mesquite chunks. I am guessing 18 hrs at 225. Any help would be great. thanks.

The rub is your call. Any where from a few days to a few min. before you smoke. I dont think you will see much differents.

I think you allotment of time is a fair one.

JMHO on both.

Comment

It depends on your rub. If you are using a rub with salt in it, you'll want to use it well in advance to allow the dry brine to take place. If it doesn't have salt, you should dry brine (I usually go overnight) and then you can add rub just before smoking. Flavor molecules won't penetrate meat like salt, so you can wait on applying it. Doesn't hurt to apply sooner, just not required for great results.

Comment

hunterlewis, 👍👍🍻👍👍. Good Luck on The Wild Hog, keep us Posted! Thanks, Dan

Comment

I apply rubs after salting, just for convenience. That way I take the meat from the refrigerator straight to the smoker.

Comment

are you going for a pulled meat treatment, or cut slices? let us know how it turns out, and pictures are always welcome!

Comment

Thanks for the info. will use rub with salt. Now I have to decide if its an all nighter or get up real early

Comment

Wow. first smoke. Realy wish I could have gotten pics but kids got to it first. heck, even my wife wants me to go hunting again. 13 hrs to hit 180 for an hour. Little trouble controlling heat but I sure it was inexperience. Thanks to everyone at this site for my education.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here