Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pigs Heads - some help??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pigs Heads - some help??

When I take a trip to the local abattoir to stock up, I invariably get a pigs head (they usually just give them away) and nearly always make brawn.
    However, I was wondering whether any one had ever smoked one on the bbq.
    Any tips, advice etc would be most appreciated.

I've not done this before. I'm checking in though to follow the thread. It'll be interesting to follow

Comment

Hopefully I'll get a few tips but it may be a case learning on the job when I cook the head next weekend!!

Comment

make yourself head cheese

Comment

Grant
          We call head cheese brawn in the UK (and yes, I'll be making that with on half of the head)

Comment

I smoked a 15-pound hog's head a few months ago. I treated it as I would pulled pork: Cooker temperature, 225 degree; target temperature for meat, 200 degrees. After about 10 hours, it yielded the most succulant pulled pork that I've ever prepared. The cheek and jowl meat were especially tasty.

Here's an image of the finished product. My one complaint is that the skin did not crisp. Next time, I will ramp up the temperature toward the end of the cook.

Good luck with your cook.

Comment

I was thinking of doing something similar but was worried about the skin crispness as well.
              I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

I look forward to learning from your experience. I think that scoring the skin, as is done with pork belly, may help.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here